Anyone know how good this is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one know how good (or otherwise) these people:-http://www.buildingcentreofexcellence.co.uk/
are?

Or has anyone signed up with them?

My daughter's partner is a plasterer (also does other bits of building work) in his first year of business and has been really struggling since July. Only a few little jobs here and there.

He's a good plasterer - he's got the 'knack' (can do rendering too), and a background of various building trade jobs, plus 2 years with a shopfitting firm, during which he did (off his own bat) a C&G plastering course (did well - had some work from his tutor).

Just before last Christmas he was made redundant, so took the plunge and set up on his own.

The first part of the year was fine, couple of whole house renovations, quite a bit of insurance flood repair work, plus the usual odds'n'ends type of jobs.

The main problem is that he hasn't had time build up a big enough network of customers and contacts. He's a grafter and not having enough to do is driving him nuts, he's tried for full time jobs but the only firm hiring plasterers were paying £7.50 an hour.

Always leaves cards, van is liveried, sign outside the house, spent money on 8 week series of decent, professionally designed ads in the local papers, from which there were 3 responses, all of which he converted into jobs; some leafleting, called all the local contractors etc., and the nearest firm of loss adjusters.
He's CIS registered, and has liability insurance.

Now wondering whether to sign up with this trade agency, £675 for a years contract.

It seems legit, well worked out and professional, he's been to see them, and is tempted, anyone any feedback/experience?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Now wondering whether to sign up with this trade agency, £675 for a years contract.

It seems legit, well worked out and professional, he's been to see them, and is tempted, anyone any feedback/experience?
TIA
Personally I think he's better off spending a tiny bit of that £ 675 on a nice letter to his former clients, reminding them of his existence, his good work he's done for them and kindly asking for recommendations.
It takes 7 times as much effort and money to get a new client than 'keeping' an existing client. We keep reminding our existing clients we're here and that we do maintenance product, service etc. Works a treat on 'repeat' sales of these small products plus they keep recommending us to friends etc.

Costs: letter, envelop and 27p on a stamp

Best way to go might be to ask for some of their recommendations, then ring up the tradesmen concerned and ask!

Might be a bit cheeky, but most of us would give an honest response.

I've noticed a lot of these kind of organisations about, and fairly convinced many are scams. so be carefull.

If I had to advertise again I'd give yellow pages/yell.com serious thought. I don't recommend the muppets, but for exposure you can't beat them. That said, the clued up customer always looks for someone recommended or a member of a reputable trade body, and the kind of idiot customers with unrealistic expectations are more likely to just pluck someone out the yellow pages.

£675 sounds like an awful lot of money. What guarantee's are you given that he will get the work he needs ?

I think you are over thinking this.

When I first started my IT business I parked my signed vehicle outside Maplin and PC World on a Saturday. Total cost (parking) £3.50 - I got nearly 300 quids worth of profit from that first day. Why doesnt he park his van outside B&Q or Homebase for the day on Sat/Sun and see what happens. It won't cost anything to find out.

spent money on 8 week series of decent, professionally designed ads in the local papers

I bet you anything you like that you would have had a much better result from a simple lineage advert in the classifieds at a fraction of the cost. I found very quickly that people were put off by professional looking ad's . as they assumed that if I had lots of money for posh ad's I was obviously expensive!

As previously mentioned recommendations are key. I always, always asked for recommendations from every client I did a job for. Worked a treat!

Sponsored Links
If I had to advertise again I'd give yellow pages/yell.com

They are sharks IMO, and expensive too. The sales process leaved a lot to be desired , very questionable tactics :confused:

If I had to advertise again I'd give yellow pages/yell.com

They are sharks IMO, and expensive too. The sales process leaved a lot to be desired , very questionable tactics :confused:

Couldn't agree more with your opinions, except expensive- it's relative- they will make the phone ring. But yeah, the salesman will try his damnedest to sell you about £5k of advertising when all you want is a 1/4 column, so you have to tell him where to stick it.

I don't advertise with them any more, don't need it for 1, and 2 cos they're w&*nkers, I really don't like doing their job for them here, but when alls said and done like I said above it's about exposure, if you're gonna pay anyone £675 you want it where it counts.

Back