PRESS Advertising In Britain Today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the last 50 years I have been a large user of classified press advertising. During this period most broadsheet newspapers have become tabloid [a much smaller size] the number of columns on each page have increased from 8 columns to 12 columns by reducing the font size and the column widths, and in many newspapers the classified sections have become small newspapers in their own right. The result being there are too many adverts on each page and your own trade advert cannot be seen or read. From 1985 onward's newspaper circulations have dropped 65%, yet the prices for lineage or box adverts have gone up and up. Even worse the number of pages per issue has increased from 32 pages to 48 pages, with some papers printing 64 pages on Thursdays and Fridays. Common sense should have told them that no reader was going to read 64 pages of newsprint and he/she was more concerned with watching TV or using a computer.

A huge problem for advertisers was readers interest in the classified adverts gradually vanished to zilch. They read the first 5 news pages then skipped the rest, whilst male readers took more interest in the sports pages. The quandary we all faced was obtaining leads and work enquiries. All I can say is its reached a point when we no longer use press advertising much and consider the prices they charge rediculous. For instance last week the Leeds Evening Post circulation 34 000 copies per day wanted a £100.00 per day for a small lineage advert and the sales person glibly suggested we book our advert for 10 days in order to get a good response! For all these reasons local paid for newspapers are closing down with some becoming weeklies. In Yorkshire by the end of the year just the Leeds Evening Post will be left. It was claimed on TV that The Hull Mail, the Sheffield Star, the Halifax Courier and the Huddersfield Telegraph newspapers are closing or becoming weeklies. In the USA the situation is even worse, they have lost 62 major titles in the last 3 years and my favourite The New York Times is in trouble.

What advice do you have on advertising on the internet and what are your views on press advertising and the results you obtained, and how do you view the future? PS: We spent £5500.00 on Yellow Pages for just one enquiry, this was for 12 months advertising in 6 citys / £5500.00? [ I am in Leeds and have worked in the Leeds and North East since 1964]

Sponsored Links
Reply to moderator:

I live in Leeds, my interest in the New York Times is because I worked in the USA for three years and we visited New York often, it was a 2 hour drive.

If you've been in business in the same area for 48 years and still need to advertise at all then you're obviously not getting much repeat or word of mouth business based on your reputation.

I'd address that issue first before complaining about the costs of press or yellow pages advertising!

Sponsored Links
And what's your trade? Do you have an easy accessible website?

I am age 71, retired and am registered as a disabled person with limited vision. I was in the building trade for 50 years. I have a problem opening my eyes because my eyelids won't always open or lift upwards, it's a rare condition with about 10 000+ sufferers in the UK. The cause is unknown, the suspected cause is the side effects from a well known prescribed medicine which surprise, surprise can damage your eyesight?

So why are you looking for press advertising advice?

I am not looking for press advertising advice, I am seeking the FORUMS views on the success of the internet, on websites in general and the costs associated with it, and other trade peoples past or current impression of local news press classified advertising rates and response. This post was addressed to a wider audience not just yourself. For instance our own adverts on the TV page did no good, leaflets involved too much work delivering them for just a 0.2% response [2 replies in return for 1000 leaflets] gardening supplements did not do us much good, nor did glossy magazines, and so on and so forth. We did quite well in the Edinburgh Evening News, the Newcastle Chronicle, the Dundee Courier, the York Press and the Hull Daily Mail, thats just five good newspapers out of a possible 35 newspapers to choose from. So knowing which papers to avoid was the secret we learn the hard way.

A lot of young tradesmen read this forum and one hopes our collective views will save them money, point them in the right direction, or gave them some encouragement. Just because I'm retired does not mean I have to take up crosswords, knitting or sitting in the park feeding the ducks.

Inky Pete";p="2377102 said:
If you've been in business in the same area for 48 years and still need to advertise at all then you're obviously not getting much repeat or word of mouth business based on your reputation.

Inky; We did local authority work and had contracts with London GLC, The NHS, The Army, The PSA, Bath Council, Birmingham Council, Norwich Council, Leeds Council etc, the list is endless and it includes hospitals, libraries, one prison, an army camp, and a lot of travel. Our attempts to obtain private work did not produce the results we wanted or on reflection the
type of client we like to deal with. You may be an expert in handling the public - so please let the new-comers know the secrets of your success.
Will you please post your top 7 secrets for finding and obtaining new business
in order to assist others - I await your advice and sales tips with interest?

So why are you looking for press advertising advice?

I am not looking for press advertising advice, I am seeking the FORUMS views on the success of the internet, on websites in general and the costs associated with it, and other trade peoples past or current impression of local news press classified advertising rates and response.
We're not doing any paper advertising at the moment, besides one monthly well read Village Directory (which contains more than just ads). Our main money generator is our website, including our user friendly online shop.

The lesson we learned: the more you tell (hence our own management of our websites), the more you sell. We frequently write new free guides on our subject for website visitors to download - and which are then followed up with emails to give them more information (and no hard selling!)

Works fine for us

We're not doing any paper advertising at the moment, besides one monthly well read Village Directory (which contains more than just ads). Our main money generator is our website, including our user friendly online shop.

Can I ask what did your website cost, how many leads does it generate per week, per month or annually, what is the cost of each lead, and whats the conversion rate of lead enquiries to sales. E.g Out of 50 leads, how many go on to produce orders? We always kept accurate accounts on sales costs and conversion rates. What do Google charge and do you sign a contract with them for your name appearing at the top of the search page. My knowledge of www-marketing is zilch. The age gap syndrome!
[/b]

Because we design and manage our own websites I will not add labour/time costs to this.
Website hosting, including domain names £ 450 annual
Conversion rate on those requesting one of our guides: 1 out of 15

Google does not charge you anything to get listed high on the search results, DO NOT BELIEVE ANYONE STATING THEY HAVE A NUMBER 1 POSITION ON GOOGLE FOR SALE.

Sponsored Links
Back