losing jobs by doing the right thing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been self employed for 7 years decided to go employed.working for corgi companies,all were also agents of boiler manufacturers.

1st company I worked for was a boiler manufacturer,i was finding some new corgi installations at risk,some substandard etc,doing right thing ie paperwork etc. effectively got sacked as i was upsetting boiler manufacturers biggest clients,
I informed corgi about what i should do they didnt really have an answer.apart from well you are doing the right thing etc.

2nd company I worked for owner of the company wasnt gas qualified at all,also no part L but was doing the quotations and deciding where he wanted the boiler to go.
Informed him that position of the flue was incorrect,he didnt want to know about any kind of gas safety,and stated that his company must be ok as corgi havent inspected them for ages. I got sacked again as I refuse to do something wrong.
I left the company and checked with corgi to see who had been registered to fit the boiler as i didnt, the boss registered the installation in my name nice! .Informed corgi they didnt seem that bothered.

3rd Company, similar problems noticing boilers that had been serviced/repaired some were at risk some were plain dangerous ie blocked flue on fire,heat exchanger split,no ventilation etc.Again i was causing to many problems, upsetting to many customers and was sacked.

It appears to me that doing the acs qualifications means very little,and doing the right thing costs you your job.Being corgi registered doesnt mean anything.
The boss stated that he didnt like upsetting customers etc,didnt like hassle of customers phoning him when i left asking why i had cut off their appliances,and why nothing was noticed the year before.

I would appreciate responses

Sponsored Links
apply for BG, you sound like the perfect man for the job. you do it properly and take no ****. you cant get sacked by them for doing that, in fact it will be a breath of fresh air in some patches.

My guv nor would give an arm and a leg for a up standing gent like yourself matey as would most reputable companies, three times unlucky

:)

Sponsored Links
funny if he worked for that company already

I doubt that Breezer

My Guv Nor doesnt cut corners ever

and none of us would contenance cutting corners either as it is ultimately our necks on the line.

:)

Slightly off suject but a few years back a mates turn over exceeded the VAT threshold..mine was just slightly under it thank god.

He 'did the right thing' and went VAT registered and lost about 30% of his normal work in the first year because it was mostly domestic and he couldnt compete with the like of my type of company who did not charge private householders VAT...on an average size job it was amounting to 100-150 quid..a big difference in the house holders eyes.

The following year he came off it and said he wished he had odne the 'wrong thing' and kept under it by doing cash work and not declaring it, thus keeping under the threshold

A good set of principles and morals is one thing but when it costs you a serious amount of money like that..

Well...you can see why people do it cant you.

I would appreciate responses[/quote]

As a certified boiler inspector I was told by my employer to just sign off on a few boiler inspections and I told him where to go.

I resigned and being fully qualified I started my own company doing boiler installations and inspections ( I do not inspect the same boilers I install as I consider it a conflict of interest or repair any boilers I inspect)

I would suggest you document all of your jobs inspections and proposals to cover yourself.

I found being an inspector working for anyone including the government my hands were tied from performing a proper inspection if they felt the cost of making proper repairs was not cost effective.

I also feel once you have a taste of being your own boss it is very hard to work for someone else.

If you hate being self employed why not try to get a job as an insurance company boiler inspector? Possibly an independent?

This way you can do the right job as your looking out for the insurance companies interest and also protect the accounts from faulty inspections.

I found a great money maker in gas fitting / boiler inspections and plumbing.

Expert witness for law firms ( I know it is a dirty job but someone has to do it)

The going rate for an expert in the trades is $2,000 per day plus expenses.

I started off @ $250 per hr minimum of 4 hours.

Once you get established then you can demand more compensation and a set minimum $$$$

The beauty of being an independent inspector is your not under pressure to just look the other way , you have no boss giving you the rush act or saying its good enough.

You get paid for reports and you can cherry pick the accounts you want to work for.

Many times an independent inspector has a lot more say then someone working for a governmental agency in the courts.

The only draw back is you must keep constantly abreast of code changes.

Good luck

we dont have boiler inspectors

$250 / hour = £125 / hour only in jepordy do they pay that

we dont have boiler inspectors

$250 / hour = £125 / hour only in jepordy do they pay that

What about pressure vessel inspectors?

As a "boiler" inspector I do pressure vessels and gas fired heaters (water)

The £125 per hr is paid for by law firms NOT employers

The reason why one can get this amount ($250) or higher as the firms consider it in their law suits and when they take their percentage AFTER all the expenses are paid.

doesnt work like that over here.

to work on gas the person has to be registered with a body called CORGI, once registered they do the whole install (they probably get re checked every few years, but thats it (so i believe)

to work on gas the person has to be registered with a body called CORGI, once registered they do the whole install (they probably get re checked every few years, but thats it (so i believe)

Here as a LMP I can install the boiler and the gas piping and all water lines with back flow protection

you dont need a license to install just the boiler

At rates like that I wouldn't hesitate to go work in the US if I was single, as it is with a family and kids it is a no goer at the moment.*sigh*However it has been on the agenda to move there when the kids are ready to go to Uni, since we now have to pay over here for them to go I thought it might be good for them to go to a uni overseas for the experience -since I was born there as well I imagine there shouldn't be probs with work permits etc should there?

I just need to find out what registrations, extra qualifications I would have to get to work over there- probably the new england/new jersey states.

Sponsored Links
Back