Non-corgi company fitting gas central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. A plumber (who I trust & I know he does a good job) works for a company who aren't corgi registered. I have been given a good quote by the company and I have been told that they pay for a corgi registered guy to come in and do the corgi side of this and supply the relevant certificate.

For my information:- does the corgi guy come in and do all the pipework for the gas and fit to the gas meter and boiler or does the plumber run the pipe and the corgi man just connects to the box and boiler and does the gas safety checks?

Don't want the situation where the plumber does everything and the corgi man only does the safety checks and sign the certificate (if this is incorrect). All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jenny

Sponsored Links
The corgi man should be fitting the gas pipe, the boiler and the flue. He should then commission the boiler in accordance the the MI's. Nothing wrong with that.

The gas pipe itself is a grey area, in my personal opinion. If I find an empty pipe, installed correctly, I'm certainly not going to rip it out, or run another one alongside, just because I don't know who put it there. Nobody "signs off" (domestic) gas pipes!

Sponsored Links
Yes blahblah, I am the culprit. I wasn't sure which was the best forum, so I tried both - sorry for confusing you. Should all corgi registered installers supply a benchmark book and do they normally tell you this when they quote? What should you get from an installer on completion? For my previous house I was given the user instructions, invoice & boiler guarantee card (which I returned to the manufacturer). A benchmark book was never given and the installer was corgi registered. :confused:

It comes with the boiler paperwork- installer fills it in. Has his details and all his commissioning figures. Corgi expect it to be completed. Little blue two page card. I'm same as PVM (bless 'im), explain all in quote. Part L, flushing, Benchmark etc etc blah blah!

I phoned Corgi customer services yesterday regarding benchmark book. I was informed that they could not enforce a corgi registered installer to fill it out and give it to me. She told me that I would have to contact my local Trading Standards department. She did say that boiler manufacturers expect this to be filled out to validate the guarantee.

True they can't force him to do it but they expect it and won't accept that its been properly commissioned without it. On an inspection (of a boiler) that's the first thing they ask to see and, 'The customer must have lost it' can't work forever. In essence, if you've got a proper guy doing a proper job he won't need to be asked. If you buy a Vaillant for instance you get a second year warranty on condition that you send in the reg card, you have it serviced at year one- and you have the benchmark.

to be honest, Corgi is just a rip off
a corgi fitter is someone who has passed an exam.
Most of the best Plumbing and Heating guys in the country, dont hold Corgi qualifications, because they refuse to pay the ridiculous costs.

i know of a few Corgi blokes that i wouldnt let near my Boiler!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back