Corgi Certificates & Building Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was chatting to a client this morning who told me that when you get for example a boiler fitted you should get a corgi gas certificate as well as a building control certificate.

He was telling me that not all corgi gas tradesmen are able to completely sign off the work, and so the client would have to pay building control to come out to inspect it in order to pass it.

I would have thought if you were corgi registered you would be able to completely sign off the work and issue a building control certificate through corgi as well? If not what do you look for so you can check if a corgi installer is able to completely sign the work off or not. Or is this just nonsense what he was telling me :confused:

Sponsored Links
corgi is only a registration body and money collection department, installers have work catagories i.e cookers,fires,water heaters and may not have the certificates to install boilers, not all rgi can do it all ...kitchen fitters spring to mind, read the back of the card not just the front....

It sounds as if you are being given some partially incorrect information.

Very strictly, someone who is CORGI registered cannot complete the installation of a new boiler without an energy efficiency certificate.

I am not at all sure that aspect is actually being enforced though.

I suspect the person who told you that is really referring to people who are NOT registered with CORGI for the work in hand. That would include British Gas employees who fit boilers in their spare time as they are only registered for their employer's jobs.

A genuine CORGI will complete the Benchmark Certificate and notify CORGI who will send the owner a Certificate as well as notify Building Control.

Tony

The RGI also has to pay extra to CORGI to download the GWN, not all RGI's pay the extra I for one do not as I do not do any installs. I had to send CORGI a letter to confirm this.

Sponsored Links
you dont have to notify corgi,just building control, corgi do it as a money making scheme.

Yes but building control will want to inspect it at far higher cost than corgi.
As far as im aware there is no legal requirement on an RGI to issue a certificate. He does however have to inform building control, which in most cases is easiest done by GWN to corgi, who in turn notfy building control and issue part L compliance certification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back