non corgi installing a boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a non corgi plumber allowed to install a boiler and then have a corgi reg gas fitter come and install the gas and sign the the job off.

Sponsored Links
Not according to the law either, it's a gas appliance, and if you earn money from doing it or it would be reasonable to expect from your occupation you might earn from it then you have to be registered. Silly bit is, is that if you are doing your own diy job then you can do it, but the corgi guy cannot sign it off. He can sign off only what he has installed. They can self certify, they can't certify sombody elses, that's the job of the building control officer.

Sponsored Links
How about installing it and then getting a landlords gas certificate ?

I've got a new customer who had some work done on her boiler by a non registered plumber recently, the house was hit by lightning and just about everything on the wiring circuits were damaged. However, now the house insurance won't pay up for the work on the boiler.

brumylad said:
How about installing it and then getting a landlords gas certificate ?

Doesn't make any difference, doing a LSC does not extend to demanding the see the benchmark book and filling in the missing details! without that you're knackered.

I went to fix a broken down Wickes (halstead) combi the other day. Fitted in a very unusual position by a non registered installer 18 months previously and charged £2500 for it. Broke down 6 months later with a blocked HE and the fitter charged £700 for that. Now the PCB has failed.

What a bargain.

Brumylad that's an interesting incident. Was it in the papers?

What is a benchmark book? And should you get one filled out for a new boiler being fitted? :?:

if you aint got the benchmark log book / filled in with all relavent details
man can refuse to honour your warranty if your installer didnt fill it in /leave it with you he wasnt reg/neither was the bod who "signed it off"or commissioned it :oops:

When will people learn, blooddy **** gas appliances from sheds fitted by tossers is a bad investment to their property. :(

But I can get a heating pack at B&Q for £650 so surely you can do the whole job for say ...a grand ?....cash ?.

Brumylad that's an interesting incident. Was it in the papers?

I don't think so, I'm sure she would have said if it had been, she's a widow about 75.

By the way, she asked me to have a look at the boiler. It sounded like it was kettling, it was branded wickes, it was about 15 years old, two local guy's had fixed it for £500 !. (you've gotta hand it to em, I mean the nerve of it)

I put my eye up against the eye glass to look at the flame and I could feel air movement around the eye glass which was a bit loose fitting. Is this safe ?

I told her to contact a Corgi, the jobs too far for the guy I sometimes work with.

you pay for what i know not what i do
1 wouldnt fit an appliance i dont reccomend
2 wouldnt fit a just on the market boiler (my name is with it)(baxi barcelona)springs to mind
so you do do the job (just dont get caught)
then post your problems on here so we can all laugh
trouble with this industry ?
all out for easy money
more cowboys than sherriffs
including corgi
rant over exits stage left

How do you know a cowboy from a genuine installer. I have had 8 quotes (a bit excessive, I know) and all the companies have come over very well. All corgi registered but to the unknown customer, you assume that the installers know what they are doing and are not taking short cuts.

My eyes have been opened by postings on this site and s/fix site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back