is it legal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a gas safe (corgi)fitter still fit a non- condensing boiler if it is new and in the box.

Sponsored Links
probably not...put it on eBay and I`ll take a chance @ my own house. Yee Haa :LOL:

No. Not unless you pass the criteria for allowing a non condensing boiler to be used under the Part L requitements......and belive me almost non do.

Sponsored Links
It will have to come out of the box to install it, and you are not allowed to install a non-condensing boiler that has come out of the box.

yes is the answer but you have to meet some criteria which your RGI can asses for you.

if the boiler was shown on a spec sheet or planning drawing approved by building control prior to the rule change, you can legally fit it. This is how all big newbuild sites get away with it,they bought in bulk and the plans were submitted and passed years ago.

lee

If its a wall mounted Room sealed boiler then you certainly won't be able to fit it as you wont satisfy the rquirement for dipensation (this is for awkward installs historically backl boiler units) -but even this has now been overcome with the advent of condensing BBU's ;)

The regulations say nothing about condensing boilers. All they say is that you have to fit a boiler which has a Sedbuk efficiency of 86% or greater. If the installation meets the exception criterai, it has to be 78% or better.

Now if someone can produce a non-condensing boiler which is 86% efficient ..... ;)

Baxi are knocking out the Main 24kw se boilers by the lorryload, also Glow worm with the betacom
You can't tell me that they're all getting fitted in 'compliant' installs.
The companies obviously know that, but they're still making and flogging them. I wonder what their position is on warranty calls with a new non compliant installation though.

Baxi are knocking out the Main 24kw se boilers by the lorryload,
Do you mean the HE boilers? They are all Sedbuk Band B (86% or better), so can be fitted in any installation without having to meet the exception criteria.

also Glow worm with the betacom
The same applies. They are band B and therefore compliant.

Sorry got confused there, the betacom is as you say a band B. The main 24 is an se though, and like I said they're flogging loads of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back