non corgi installing a boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
pedantic i agree having just read the previous thread (with help) :LOL:
this bloke strikes me as the worst of the diy brigade cos he actually THINKS he knows what he is doing
i'll wait for the bang :LOL:

My parents had a new high efficiency boiler fitted last winter. When they started using the CH this week one of the rads was full of air. I told Dad to get the installer out to bleed and then repressurize the boiler but I don't want to have to do that myself when I get a new boiler installed. I've always had a header tank. My question is

Do High Efficiency boilers HAVE to be pressurized, or can it have a header tank? :?:

I live in a three storey house with the header tank in the loft, and the boiler in the ground floor, so it's got 20ft of head.

don't reply to 2 year old posts

You're gonna get your knuckles rapped. 2 year old post.

done:cool:

Sponsored Links
Next time start a new post.

All heating systems need pressure to allow air to be bleed out of the radiators and high points.

On your existing setup the header tank in the roof creates this pressure (and also allows for water expansion as it heats up) and if correctly installed can function without fault. This is commonly known as a vented system.

On your parents system an expansion vessel (normally located behind the boiler) contains presurised air. This creates the presure in the system and also allows for water expansion. This is known as a sealed system.

The majority of modern boilers are designed to to operate as a sealed system. This is generally easier to install and allows a more flexible pipework approach. Due to the fixed water volume, from time to time they require represurising. Hence it is important to have a leak free system. Open vented systems will keep themselves topped up. However on both systems excessive water topping up will create corrosion in the system.

There are a few boilers available for open vented systems but if at all possible I would install a sealed system.

Gasguru said:
There are a few boilers available for open vented systems but if at all possible I would install a sealed system.

no reason on earth why all of em cannot be put on a open vented system

the expansion vessel wont be utilised and the PRV will act as a fail safe like the old ones us old fogeys used to fit years ago to gravity systems

just dont bother with the filling (oh yeah and save a few bob and buy a non system boiler)

and yes this is an old post

OMG I miss PVM

corgiman wrote

no reason on earth why all of em cannot be put on a open vented system

Well apart from the fact they wouln't necessarily be installed in compliance with manufacturers instructions and type approval and any that contain pressure sensors may well fail to operate.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Gas pipe should be earth bonded at the meter, I think it is within 600mm or within 1 metre of the meter, I would need to look it up, not something we actually do except notify customer if it hasn't got any.
When I fit a combi boiler I earth bond all the pipes together underneath.

600, but only when reasonably practical.

No need to earth bond combi pipes unless in a special location. This is some misinformation *******s that snuck in with part p.

I asked my napit inspector about it, and he said it was a corgi rule. No mait it isn't! I proceeded to get very confused bout it and even convinced myslef it was part of the main equipotential bonding but I was completely wrong.

The boiler may be used to satisfy the bathroom bonding requirements if it is in the bathroom or adjacent and convenient, if it is in another special location like sauna swimming pool jacusi bedroom containing a shower it should also be bonded as other equipment in the zones has to be, but it carries no special status in itself any more than a dishwasher.

15th edition kitchen had to be bonded but no longer and so neither should a boiler just because it is in a kitchen.

above is a presi of //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63361

post now locked 9see above)

may I ask you all not to reply to hi jacked posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back