Fraud Corgi Plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had new boiler, radiators and copper piping installed in my flat - its taken the guy three weeks - left me without water or heating for this long. When I asked him about the Benchmark Form, he said what form is that then. Alarms started ringing, so I rang Corgi to check him out, turns out he is not a corgi registered engineer, he is registered as the contact for the company but not as an engineer - somebody else is though. Please can you tell me what I should do now - I need to get the boiler commissioned so that I can secure my guarantee - I have spoken with Corgi and the manufacturer of my boiler and they say as long as I can get it commissioned then I am OK. What gets me is the fact that he lied by saying he was corgi registered.

Sponsored Links
If you can prove he lied to get the work then call the police and report it as it a crime. He has committed a criminal offence and should be arrested and charged with deception/pecuniary advantage under the 1968 Theft Act. Hopefully you haven't paid all the money yet!

dont forget the (installation and use ) regs

fill your boots son

PART B

GAS FITTINGS - GENERAL PROVISIONS

Qualification and supervision
3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of -

(a) the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b) the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

(5) An approval given pursuant to paragraph (3) above (and any withdrawal of such approval) shall be in writing and notice of it shall be given to such persons and in such manner as the Health and Safety Executive considers appropriate.

(6) The employer of any person carrying out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel in the course of his employment shall ensure that such of the following provisions of these Regulations as impose duties upon that person and are for the time being in force are complied with by that person.

(7) No person shall falsely pretend to be a member of a class of persons required to be approved under paragraph (3) above.

(8) Notwithstanding sub-paragraph (b) of regulation 2(4), when a person is carrying out work in premises referred to

Duty on employer
4. Where an employer or a self-employed person requires any work in relation to a gas fitting to be carried out at any place of work under his control or where an employer or self-employed person has control to any extent of work in relation to a gas fitting, he shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the person undertaking that work is, or is employed by, a member of a class of persons approved by the Health and Safety Executive under regulation 3(3) above.

this is a statuory instrument
ie the law :LOL:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My advise is report this git to the HEALTH AND SAFETY

www.hse.gov.uk

I is they they can prosecute not CORGI

go get him!!!

As for commisioning the appliance have you ask the manufacturer if they can be of assistance

Sponsored Links
Hanging's too good for him. Mind, if it took him three weeks, he's more likely to die of starvation before HSE catch up with him.

Of course this guy obviously fitted it all to Part L, I should contact the council building control dept as well as the police and HSE, hope he gets hung drawn and quarted, it's these dick heads which are making harder and harder for us legit guys :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think the building regs responsibility is technically the property owner's, so telling building control could raise some issues.

Talk to everyone - corgi, hse, trading standards, plod... Ask corgi to come inspect. Not certain they will but they often do. They obviously would be able to find something unsafe which would strengthen your case, on top of the felonies mentioned already. There's Trades Descriptions Act too.

If corgi won't come out, ask the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineers to suggest someone local to come for a survey. He would have to be paid but you can make the "installer" pay for remedial work, which includes assessment.

Too right stick it to the bugger good a proper, hopefully we will be reading about him in next month GAS INSTALLER :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back