B & Q - Trade point

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised at the negative comments about B&Q TP. I generally find that the two stores I use (Gloucester and Cribbs Causeway) are very helpful, well stocked and competitive. The other day after a discussion about the merits of hard point saws the guy on the desk allowed me to take two different saws to try at the current BOGOF offer price of £4.17 + VAT. I was working in London last week, however and the TP there was a nightmare. They didn't seem to know what they were there for and could only take my decking order for £550 through the self service till!

Not sure if it's the same in Trade Pointless, but Screwedupfix makes me laugh how they try to sell you extra $hite with your order.

Eg. the other day, bought a double 13amp socket from a S.fix branch, and the bloke behind the counter asked me if I needed PTFE tape to go with the socket. WTF??

Not sure it was his fault, or some script on his screen. At least if you're going to annoy us by selling more kit, and me having to constantly refuse these 'offers' - MAKE IT RELEVANT!! :rolleyes:

yeah briefly scanned comments. esp comment about screwfix... to be told not in stock pay now collect tomorrow. typical!

what happens when these bigger outlets undercut your local plumbing and heating suppliers by so much that they go out of business and then these bigger outlets don't stock the goods that you require?

The irony is of course that both screwfix and B&Q are owned and are run as umbrella organisations by the same parent company!

Sponsored Links
always use a local independent merchant. you will always get a discount. they are competetive.
for things like fittings you do not have to buy a large bag, when you only need a couple of fittings.
if you do not use your local merchant they will disappear. like your local butcher or greengrocer. use it or lose it.
bwhomeresponse

I was doing a job in a town I didn't know that well, I knew where B&Q was but knew it was a pain to get there, there was a local diy merchant, it cost me £5 for a box of 1"1/4 size 8's my local independent Fixings Warehouse £1.70

Get "Builderspace" april/ 6 /2012. Total spammer from the B&Q hall of fame spam blaggers.

the Muppet's who work in B&Q near me are useless they know nothing about building materials at all. but for 3/4 MDF and multi-finish you cant get it cheaper.

I've had some really good savings on radiators. You have to watch out for when they have offers on.
I'm not entirely sure how I signed up for it, but they seem to text me when they have deals on. The offers seem to be short lived, ie 20/30% extra off on power tools or whatever, but for 1 day only.

I searched for posts about B&Q Trade Point and only found this old one.
I need to do some work to bring in some money so am getting back to grafting, I signed up with Trade Point today and expected 10% off everything I bought. I got nothing off, I'd have been better waiting and buying tomorrow as us over 60s get 10% off. Am I missing something or is there no discount on stuff off the shelf?

The discounts are pretty random. Pick up a catalogue as the brands listed in there tend to be discounted more. Building materials, plumbing fittings, etc have a decent discount. Nothing off most big ticket items eg tools, flooring, bathroom suites but they do have occasional specials on. It is still better than going to Jewson where they seem to put prices up for occasional customers.

Trade pointless: I signed up for Trade Point, bought a shed using it, went back a week later and my account was not recognised. So I used my local builders merchant (where I have trade discount) instead. I probaby won't be buying a fitted kitchen from B&Q now.

If anyone is lucky to have a Stax near them, you'll know how keen their prices are - especially on tools.

Sponsored Links
Back