Back bedroom and kitchen beneath freezing every night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas, I live in a terraced house and the back bedroom that sticks out from house and kitchen below is always freezing at night, my 2 year old sleeps in there but want to take him out due to the cold, i dont understand why that room is so cold at night, loft insulation been done other year, and that was done to a good thickness, but its bitter cold in the room, does anyone know what to do to sort it out, or is it something that i am stuck with

Sponsored Links
i think i may have too as got a 2 year old in there and dont like it being cold as he wont go to bed if his door is open, but i dont want to close it due to cold, but am forced to so he will sleep or have to bring him into my bed, what sort of heater would be safe

.[/quote]
I dont understand why that room is so cold at night, loft insulation been done other year, and that was done to a good thickness,

You seem to believe ( from the comment above ) that insulation creates heat: it doesn't. It preserves some of the existing heat so you need a heater.

You should also consider insulating under the floor-boards and the external walls if you really want to make the place acceptable.

Sponsored Links
It is probably a small room with two external walls and a reasonable sized window. You have two choices:

Stop what heat there is from escaping - you have doen the simple bit by insulating the loft. The next step would be to insulate the external walls internally, but this is expensive and disruptive.

Pump more heat in - bigger radiator or electric rad running over night to take the chill off.

There are no magic fixes.

Buying a safe heater is a good idea, Do you leave the heating on during the day?

This could warm the room up before the night... Although its not the cheapest option in the world!

I don't agree about leaving heat on during day. In an uninsulated room, the heat will be lost rather than heating up the fabric and it will be very expensive.

Think the only reasonable choice is an electric heater -possibly oil-filler radiator for safety - switched on maybe an hour before room is used.

Solid walls and external walls are bad news for heat retention. Insulated plasterboard and a small heater would help. Can kids use electric blankets?

These back rooms on a typical Victorian terraced property are flippin freezing, I have one! Can batten walls, insulate and plasterboard over, but as said insulation will only help retain heat, you still need a heat source in the room.

If no central heating fitted, look at an electric radiator, either portable or preferably fixed in a childs room. To give you some ideas: http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/domestic_heating/index.htm

Is the window double-glazed? If not, it will be a source of cold downdraughts. You can get temporary clear plastic window coverings from B&Q fairly cheaply, which stick on the frame and will last the winter.

Does anyone have any ideas, I live in a terraced house and the back bedroom that sticks out from house and kitchen below is always freezing at night, my 2 year old sleeps in there but want to take him out due to the cold, i dont understand why that room is so cold at night, loft insulation been done other year, and that was done to a good thickness, but its bitter cold in the room, does anyone know what to do to sort it out, or is it something that i am stuck with
Would help to know the current heat source if any? or is it a secret?

heating is gas central heating, i notice there seems to be a light breeze coming through floor in that room, the kitchen is underneath, but has a chimney area in kitchen that when cooking moke does go up a little and not sure if it will then go into that bedroom? i have noticed today there is damp mould over the skirting board near window, :( the windows are upvc

267562_2208027201303_7224061_n.jpg

this is the room, all 3 walls have no ajoining walls, so all stuck out from house and cold

had guy come round to see what damp is, he said because i have 3 cold walls as no walls ajoining that it is condensation damp that is in the room, so i am not sure now if i put a heater in room if it will make it much worse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back