freezing bedroom over double garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I know this subject has been done before but their problems seem to be in older houses or with non lagged floors. I have a master bedroom over a double garage in a house that's 9 years old. The bedroom is very cold compared to the rest of the house. The garage has 2 doors standard up and over thin metal ones they do fit in the standard way but are not fitted with any draft excluders or rubber seals. The garage is brick and has 2 double glazed windows in one side. It is lined with breeze blocks and water tight. The ceiling is plasterboard, skimmed and has a silicon type gel at all the edges. I assume it has some insulation but couldnt say without cutting into it. The loft is lagged at the rafters above the bedroom ceiling. The bedroom has 3 external walls which are cold to the touch.

I want to try to make this room cozy as i have to sleep in it!! So can I??

My plan and tell me if its a waste of time - put 2 new thermal garage doors on the garage with proper draft fittings (Hormann type quality) line the garage with plasterboard to stop cold ingress through walls - add extra insulation to loft above bedroom and into ceiling of garage.

is this expensive plan likely to work? or is the only real way to stop it feeling cold is to brick up the garage and turn it into a room - i don't really need another room and i worry about resale if there's no garages.

long post sorry for the essay!

chris

Sponsored Links
I am assuming the walls are cavity walls, were they insulated when it was built?

Is it a flat roof above the bedroom or part of the pitched roof of the main house? What therefore is the level of insulation above the bedroom?

What type of floor does the bedroom have? Is it carpeted? Good underlay?

How is the bedroom heated at the moment? Where is the radiator located? How large is the radiator and what are the dimensions of the room?

thanks for the advice on the draft excluders for the garage

Dishman

not sure if the cavity is filled or not i recently moved in

the room is carpeted with good carpet and thick underlay its not cold to walk on as such

the roof on the bedroom is pitched and part of the main house

the room is long 20ft or so and around 8ft wide it has 3 rads in it 2 500x800 doubles an 1 small single near the door

hope this helps?

Sponsored Links
If the house is only 9 years old, there should be insulation between the garage and the bedroom.

We had a similar situation and found that there was absolutely nothing between our garage and the room above. That said, our house is about 24 years old.

It sounds like you have plenty of heating in the bedroom, so it would appear that the heat is escaping - either through the walls, floor or roof.

Presumably you've checked the roof above.
If you can't physically check the wall cavities, or the gap between the garage and first floors, perhaps you could check with your building control what checks were carried out during the house building process. I think this is usually asked for on the searches when buying a house. (We had to buy an indemnity because the council had no completion certificate!)

Nine years old then it should be fully insulated, if its a vaulted ceiling then you need to check if the insulation has been fitted at roof level and look under the floor boards to see if insulation has been fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back