freezing floor in room above garage - help

can anyone tell me what boards i need to get ? Ive just tried looking them up and there are many different sorts and then severalthicknesses to choose from. Do I just need the thinnest ones like these >>>

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KINGSPAN-INSULATION-BOARDS-18- 1200mmX450mmX25mm_W0QQitemZ330127159372QQihZ014QQcategoryZ63894QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Would it not be possible to put another suspended insulated ceiling underneath?

ceiling1.jpg

unfortunately I have now noticed that there is an electrical consumer box on one wall and it is almost touching the current ceiling in the garage. Will I still be okay to put this kingspan board up and just cut tightly round the consumer box or is this a no no
?

Best to ask the question on the electric forum for their advice

Sponsored Links
Sound deadening.........I wouldn`t want to be in the garage when there were "noises" ;) being made in the bedroom above :oops: :p

approx. 110mm Rockwool 'Rockfloor' fitted between the joists above the plasterboard would give give a U value of around 0.25 which would be the required target if this were a new build. It will also add sound insulation. The thicker insulation you can fit in the warmer it will be. I've specified this when drawing up a floor above a garage that needs to satisfy sound and thermal regs combined. Whats the perimeter and area of the room?

the dimensions of the room are about 16ft x 12 ft

Go for Rockfloor about 180mm thick which I would think should fit given the size of your joists, have the underneath of the insul line up with the underneath of the joists.

Sorry to hijack this but how would I fix it the ceiling of the garage can it be screwed up of a special glue ? Bit of a novice but I have exactly the same scenario in my daughters bedroom. DO THE BOARDS COME IN 8 X 4 sheets or different sizes ?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back