Back boiler - Can I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Ours is a semi detached property that originally had a real fireplace located on the common wall. The fire place is still there but unfortunately unusable because previous owner installed a Central heating back boiler inside the fireplace with the vent going up the chimeny.

We want to get rid of the back boiler for obvious reasons (ineffeciency, etc) and want to enjoy real fire place. Our attached neighbour still uses his real fire place(on other side of the wall) Therefore the chimeny, etc are all functional.

Question: Is it possible to remove the back boiler and use the fire place. What are the chances that they did something while installing the back boiler that would make it impossible for us to use the original fireplace?

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
Usually the only thing you will have to do is have a new chair brick fitted .

But as nice as they look when on its a big draughty hole most of the time allowing the heat your rads are generating to disappear up it

Thanks for the reply.
Can someone explain :-

1. What is a Chair Brick? Do they remove it while installing a back boiler?
2. Do they have put a liner while installing a back boiler? where is it put?
3. Do I need to install a pot? Is it removed while installing a back boiler? How do I identify it?

Sorry for the qns, but we never had a real fire place so the terms are greek to us!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Andy23";p="2109388 said:
Thanks for the reply.
Can someone explain :-

1. What is a Chair Brick? Do they remove it while installing a back boiler?
Andy23";p="2109388 said:
The chairbrick works in two ways, firstly the chairbrick encloses the tray (gas or solid fuel) to ensure that all products of combustion are directed into the flue system. Secondly the chairbrick is backfilled which means that any soot or debit from the flue falls forward into the fireplace rather than behind, which in time can become a fire hazard due to a collection of soot and tar deposits that could cause a chimney fire.
(lifted off t'internet)
But you don't ned a chair brick if you use a Jetmaster. these are MUCH more efficient than a grate and chairbrick and helps prevent the draughts namsag correctly mentioned.

http://www.jetmaster.co.uk/wood-fires.php

2. Do they have put a liner while installing a back boiler? where is it put?
Yes, and it is from the boiler up to the terminal (apart from on the VERY early Baxi 5's

3. Do I need to install a pot? Is it removed while installing a back boiler? How do I identify it?
Yes, and normally Yes

Are you in a smoke control area?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back