Rebuiding a fireplace. Fireproofing behind back boiler fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I was sick to death of the size of the tiled fireplace surrounding the baxi back boiler fire in my living room ( it was approx. 2 m wide and protruding out about 45cm from the wall and eating up precious floor space.- It used to be a real fire-place a while ago.)

Anyway, I have since demolished it and it removed 2 huge slabs of concrete from the wall either side of the fireplace. and revealed the brickwork behind.

If I decide to rebuild a smaller fireplace - instead of going for a combi-boiler, do I need to fireproof the area of newly exposed brickwork and, if so, with what and what is the mimimum clearances around the fire and does it have to cover some floor space too?

Thanks alot for any advice

AW

Sponsored Links
1) Bricks are fireproof.

2) Minimum clearances around fire are determined by manufacturer refer to them ( clearances are usually at least 75mm to sides and 100mm above with overhang)

3) A fireproof hearth is required underneath fire if fire burner is less than 9" off a combustible floor surface.

4) Either new surround must be brought back out to back of fire or boiler unit moved back to chimney breast.

AND FINALLY

Get someone in who knows what they are doing and are qualified as you clearly don't......I must turn off at least 4 boilers a day on our council contracts where morons have ripped out the hearth and surround that the BBU was fitted too and replaced the original with some crappy B+Q flapping in the wind piece of formica and budget mantlepiece.

Thanks very much for your reply Sir..

Don't worry. I wasn't planning on doing it myself,
I just wanted to know what I need to ask for.

You are probably right to be scornful, but its too late now!!

I realise bricks are fireproof, So can i just have the area tiled?..but i was wondering ...Why do you think those concrete slabs were there in the first place?

as for your point 4, I am not clear.

Perhaps I am another moron like those you mentioned.. sorry...
No plans for formica, though..

As for the burners do you mean the burners for the boiler of for the heater?

I think they are about 11 inches above the floor..

i have photos if u r interested!!!!

Thanks again, i appreciate your help!!

Sponsored Links
Tiles are OK

The burner on the fire front (basically the area underneath the fire)

What I mean about bringing the new fire surround forward is that after removing the original one there will be a gap between the wall/chimney breast and the back of the fire front.

This must be made up again in a safe fashion or the whole BBU unit and fire moved back to the new level of the wall.

Many that I see altered are left with either a gap between breast and fire back or have an unsealed wooden B+Q surround fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back