Back Boiler in house - recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

been out of the plumbing loop for a good few years now since I passed my NVQs and am now purchasing a property with the old back boilers behind the fire.
It's gonna have to go!
Currently the system is Hot water storage tank, no TRV's anywhere, an old control, probably needs radiators replacing as for the size of the rooms they won't be pumping out enough heat. There's even a large plumbed in heater blower thing on the wall that has to go.
Im assuming a cold water storage tank in loft and expansion tank. Back boiler located on ground floor, hot water tank on second floor.

The house has 3 rooms downstairs, plus kitchen and bathroom. Upstairs has 2 bedrooms and a WC. Each bedroom has a sink at mo and all live.
The downstairs bedroom providing I can get the waste out Im thinking a pumped power shower so a combi is out.

We wont be using gas in the kitchen.

Ideally Id like a system only boiler and then no need for a tank in the loft - but cant recall this in my studies - are these new systems?
Alternatively Id just keep it as it is and get a condensing boiler installed.

What would your advice be? I'm not gonna be doing any of the boiler work or central heating myself as not Gas-safe, so what's the best option. This is likely to be our forever home so would like a system that is relaiable and relatively maintenance free. A ball park figure would be handy if at all possible.
I hear the valiants and Worcester Boschs are still the best units?

Cheers Scott

Sponsored Links
If enough mains pressure and flow then an unvented cylinder is best. But they do need a qualified person to fit them ( or at least to sign them off ).

Without practical experience of plumbing you are going to get a lot of leaks I expect and an arrangement with a nice installer ( like me ) who would nurture you along with the work might be best.

Tony

Thanks Tony.
I wouldn't try and install any of the central heating or cylinder myself. Happy to add radiators and plumb in kitchens and bathrooms and showers!
Presumably an unvented cylinder would mean the existing one is removed - getting much for copper scrappage these days?

Sponsored Links
Bare copper cyl about £35.

They dont greatly like the foam covered ones.

But if its foam covered then there is no need to immediately replace it.

If blue or green then probably up to latest standards anyway.

Even bare copper it does not need to be changed immediately as it will perform far better as a pumped cylinder.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back