New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are changing our boiler due to age and some extension work

The house is detached 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms upstairs and a kitchen, three rooms, toilet downstairs

We are planning to add a downstairs en-suite bedroom and a conservatory downstairs at the back, both will have radiators.

Our current system is regular boiler system, i.e. is cold water tank in the loft, hot water cylinder on the first floor and boiler (Poterton Neataheat Profile, 80Kbtu, 17+ years old) on the ground floor

Our Plumber has suggested that we go for condensing combination boiler (WB Greenstar 30CDI opted for). This way we can leave the existing plumbing (hotwater & central heating) as it is, .i.e the new boiler will act same as before, but tee of the extension directly from the boiler to feed the en-suite and the new radiators, i.e. it will act as a combination.

My question is : Can a condensing combination boiler be used to act as a condensing regular boiler at the same time as a combination boiler?

Thanks you.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the boiler treats the hot water cylinder as if it was just another radiator, in fact your boiler knows nothing about it - it's just a boiler! :)

EliteHeat said:
Yes, the boiler treats the hot water cylinder as if it was just another radiator, in fact your boiler knows nothing about it - it's just a boiler! :)

thanks EliteHeat :), follow up question please

How do you control the temps then
The old room and the hot water tank thermostat control the existing radiators and hot water, how about the new radiators in the extension ?

Your installer will regard the hot water cylinder and radiators as different zones and will probably retain your existing 3-port valves or two 2-port valves to control the flow of water to these zones.

The only real difference is that most combi boilers require volt free switching, so the boiler will not be controlled directly by the motorised valve(s), as is the method with traditional systems.

Sponsored Links
The chosen boiler is Worcester Greenstar 35CDI Combi NG Boiler, would this be suitable for what we wish to do ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back