NEW BOILER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bungalow with one bedroom upstairs already (bathroom and shower downstairs) .
We are applying for a planning permission for one more bedroom upstairs and a shower and bathroom (taking away the downstairs shower)and leaving the downstairs bathroom where it is. So there will be 3 bedrooms in all making the bungalow family size. Not thinking of us as may move in the future so we need to have a suitable heating system .
We had the bungalow re-plumbed 10 years ago ,new pipes and radiators and a combi boiler which is in the kitchen at present the new boiler will have to go either upstairs or somewhere downstairs.
What sort of boiler should we be looking at? We like combi boilers and know you can get bigger combi's for a larger houses, keeping hot water in a tank is such a waste . Some of you may suggest megaflow but i am not keen . Thanks .

Sponsored Links
Its difficult to deal with a customer who is not keen on a Megaflow when thats the best solution.

If I encountered a customer who wants something which is not the best solution then I would walk away because I like to provide the best possible installation.

Just for my amusement can you list why you think a Megaflow is not the best solution in your case?

Tony

Your money, you get what you want, thats my motto.

Go for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837, or if you have space the 937 storage combi.

You need to have good flow and pressure on the cold mains to your property though and the gs pipe from the meter will no doubt have to be replaced with a larger size one.

I can't stand installers who try to sell customers what they think is best :mad:

I dont try to sell anything, I just explain the advantages and disadvantages of the various options.

The person who pays gets what he wants!

Its just that I dont like to be associated with poor quality installations that dont address the need.

No combi is likely to be totally ideal for any property with two bathrooms.

A megaflow is likely to be able to supply 2-3 bathrooms with ease.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Megaflow with immersion would be my suggestion - At least then you have backup hot water when the boiler decides to take it's christmas vacation - We all know boxing day is one of the busiest :rolleyes:

If you are desperate for a combi; then I'd have to ask if this thing is going on a wall or if it can be floor mounted. A lot of the high-flow and prestore combi's are great bits of kit; but my preference is the Worcester Highflow 440's - Worked on a couple now and they seem to be pretty easy to get going again.

gas4you said:
937 not far off @ 200 litre delivery in 10 minutes.

I am still waiting for an explanation of the flow rate when the store is depleted.

They seem to defy physics!

My clients like to be able to shower for more than 10 minutes!

Tony

If it is completely depleted then you are down to 15.5 litres/ min as the 837.

These do not work as a storage combi as in the antiquated wB 440 high flow.

The 2 7.5 litre storage cylinders are more of a buffer tank and depending on the flow demanded the stored water will be drawn from one or the other or both if flow demands. This is overheated so is then mixed with the water being outputted from the standard combi HE.

It does not use the stored water then run as a combi only

The sroage has its own modulating pump and can recharge from cold in 2 mins when needed.

gas4you said:
These do not work as a storage combi as in the antiquated wB 440 high flow.

How are they antiquated?

91% - A Rated efficiency
20 l/min @35 rise
Upto 15m of vertical and 13m of horizontal fluing
Class 5 NOX burner
Range from 7-30kW

Just a comparison bewtween traditional storage combi and the way the 937 works. Was meant to be tongue in cheek as other WB installers on here will tell you :rolleyes:

Agile said:
Its difficult to deal with a customer who is not keen on a Megaflow when thats the best solution.

If I encountered a customer who wants something which is not the best solution then I would walk away because I like to provide the best possible installation.

Just for my amusement can you list why you think a Megaflow is not the best solution in your case?

Tony
We don't think megaflow is not the best solution ,having had a combi which has been exellent ...
With combi there being no storage tank is what we like but not thinking of us but anyone else who might be living at the property , we need to put in a suitable system, what boiler to go with the megaflow?

vaillant ecotec is available as a system boiler 600 series or heat only 400 series both excellent with an unvented cylinder just get the size you need to supply your cyl and the rads

Nalle, while a combi can only supply ONE tap its just about OK for one bathroom.

If your boiler can only supply one bathroom at a time then why have a second bathroom at all? Better to make an extra bedroom instead.

If you are hell bent on having two bathrooms then surely you need a system which will be able to supply both bathrooms at the same time.

Would you ever have two cars but only one key?

Tony

I agree with you Agile and though generally not a combi fan, you do sometimes get customers who have a 2nd bathroom for different reasons.

Whilst they are both in use doesn't necessarily mean they both need dhw simultaneously.

eg. person showers in b/room 1 while person has dump in b/room 2

Person soaks in pre-run bath in b/room 1 while other person showers in b/room 2 etc etc...

I love combi boilers but they do have their application which is ideally a one person house or a studio flat. In London about 30% of properties are one single person.

I dont consider a hot water system which does not supply ALL the outlets in the property at the same time as well designed. Certainly not convenient to live with.

One I saw last night has a water flow which almost stops when the flat downstairs uses water. Oddly they dont seem so bothered by that! With two adults and two children I thought it was a pretty dreadful way to have to live!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back