NEW BOILER

Agile said:
Its difficult to deal with a customer who is not keen on a Megaflow when thats the best solution.

Megaflows are rarely the best solution.

If I encountered a customer who wants something which is not the best solution then I would walk away because I like to provide the best possible installation.

The best solution and the one in your mind may be out of sync.

Just for my amusement can you list why you think a Megaflow is not the best solution in your case?

A heat bank (thermal store) is a better solution than a Megaflow, and integrated CH & DHW heat bank even better.

The man has a perfectly good combi. He can fit another combi to do the extra bathroom. This means there is added value too - he can zone up the heating system so one combi say, does the bedrooms and the other the rest of the house. Each one will have its own temp and time controls. This means a much cheaper to run systems as parts of the house are not being unnecessarily heated. It also gives backup too if one is down there is heat and DHW in the house.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I dont try to sell anything, I just explain the advantages and disadvantages of the various options.

The advantages in your eyes though.

The person who pays gets what he wants!

No combi is likely to be totally ideal for any property with two bathrooms.

Your experience of combis is greatly lacking then.

A megaflow is likely to be able to supply 2-3 bathrooms with ease.

So can a heat bank with higher pressures too. An Alpha CD-50, Viessman 333, Glow Worm Extramax, etc, can all do two bathrooms. The Gledhill Gulstream can do 3 with ease.

GeckoGas-com said:
Megaflow with immersion would be my suggestion - At least then you have backup hot water when the boiler decides to take it's christmas vacation

He has a good combi so adding another also gives backup too. and cheaper as well.

If you are desperate for a combi; then I'd have to ask if this thing is going on a wall or if it can be floor mounted. A lot of the high-flow and prestore combi's are great bits of kit; but my preference is the Worcester Highflow 440's - Worked on a couple now and they seem to be pretty easy to get going again.

Ah sense at last. :)

Agile said:
gas4you said:
937 not far off @ 200 litre delivery in 10 minutes.

I am still waiting for an explanation of the flow rate when the store is depleted.

They seem to defy physics!

They quote 15 litres/min when the store is depleted. It will fill a modern 100 litres bath in 5 minutes. And you stay in the shower - for ever

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
If it is completely depleted then you are down to 15.5 litres/ min as the 837.

These do not work as a storage combi as in the antiquated wB 440 high flow.

The 440 is not antiquated at all. It is a condensing unit that has an efficient heat bank inside.

The 2 7.5 litre storage cylinders are more of a buffer tank and depending on the flow demanded the stored water will be drawn from one or the other or both if flow demands. This is overheated so is then mixed with the water being outputted from the standard combi HE.

It does not use the stored water then run as a combi only

The storage has its own modulating pump and can recharge from cold in 2 mins when needed.

They have thought this one through quite well.

gas4you said:
Just a comparison bewtween traditional storage combi and the way the 937 works. Was meant to be tongue in cheek as other WB installers on here will tell you :rolleyes:

What is a traditional storage combi? Some have heat banks inside (thermal stores) others unvented cylinders . The heat banks do not need a G3 ticket to install.

The Vaillant is just one of their range with a 15 litre store added as the backplate.

kevindgas said:
vaillant ecotec is available as a system boiler 600 series or heat only 400 series both excellent with an unvented cylinder just get the size you need to supply your cyl and the rads

Unvented cylinders cost each year to service. They need an annual service, unlike heat banks and that cost. Avoid!!!

In this case the first approach should an additional combi splitting the bathrooms and the CH system into zones. Probably the cheapest solution and one which most value in many ways.

Agile said:
Nalle, while a combi can only supply ONE tap its just about OK for one bathroom.

It is misinformation like this that annoys the industry.

Agile said:
I love combi boilers but they do have their application which is ideally a one person house or a studio flat.

You have only ever dealt with small BIASIs, so have limited experience of these things.

Agile said:
Its difficult to deal with a customer who is not keen on a Megaflow when thats the best solution.

If I encountered a customer who wants something which is not the best solution then I would walk away because I like to provide the best possible installation.

Just for my amusement can you list why you think a Megaflow is not the best solution in your case?

Tony

I don't like the idea of having hot water stored ,having got used to a combi but if this is best system who am I to question experts!
So what boiler is best with meagaflow? Sorry but know nothing about this.
The megaflow DD210he seems to be the size for our house.
Lot more expensive too than combi and quite frightening for what I read from some of the comments on the forum if not installed by a very competent engineer.

gas4you said:
Your money, you get what you want, thats my motto.

Go for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837, or if you have space the 937 storage combi.

You need to have good flow and pressure on the cold mains to your property though and the gs pipe from the meter will no doubt have to be replaced with a larger size one.

I can't stand installers who try to sell customers what they think is best :mad:

Does this Vaillant 937 storage combi mean it has a storage tank for hot water? The upstairs will have room for storage ,such a big decision !

Agile said:

Tony[/quote

Just for your amusement not having hot water sitting in a tank all day being kept hot when it is not needed seems such a waste! That is the reason we ditched the old tank from the attic 10 years ago and we have not missed it ,personally I don't like baths ,just quick shower once a day ! Are we not meant to be saving water and heating ?
I come from northern europe where we went to sauna once a week and then rolled in snow for fun and occasionally dived in to the frozen lake as well !! (thought i would add this just for your amusement!)

gas4you said:
Click HERE for full info on the 937.

I can't see why every maker can't have an optional extra backplate that has a 15 litre tank in it. Then all their ranges are transformed.

nalle59 said:
gas4you said:
Your money, you get what you want, thats my motto.

Go for a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837, or if you have space the 937 storage combi.

You need to have good flow and pressure on the cold mains to your property though and the gs pipe from the meter will no doubt have to be replaced with a larger size one.

I can't stand installers who try to sell customers what they think is best :mad:

Does this Vaillant 937 storage combi mean it has a storage tank for hot water? The upstairs will have room for storage ,such a big decision !

The storage tank is only 15 litres and acts as backplate for the combi to hang on. It prevents the "combi lag" and improves flowrate a little. Ity also prevents boiler cycling - the constant clocking when the taps are turned on and off quickly, as does iat kitchen sinks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back