New Gas Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a semi-detached 3 bedroom house with one bathroom. The house has 9 radiators in total.

I'm looking at purchasing the Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 NG Condensing Combi Boiler but not sure if it would be suitable?

Also, in the future we may have a extension built to include a downstairs bathroom, would I be able to use the same boiler?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thats fine and yes for future but remember a combi, even the biggest kw will struggle to deliver 2 baths at a time....

I personally would never entertain fitting a Pro. Pay the little bit extra and go got the Ecotec Plus 831.

A lot better boiler ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies

I personally would never entertain fitting a Pro. Pay the little bit extra and go got the Ecotec Plus 831.

A lot better boiler ;)

What benefit/advantage will a Ecotec Plus 831 give me over the pro to justify the extra 200 pounds?

bengasman said:
Hasn't your installer advised you?

I like to do my research first so I can compare what the installer advises compared to my results - I can stay one step ahead that way ;)

I like to do my research first so I can compare what the installer advises compared to my results - I can stay one step ahead that way ;)

Do you really think that by reading a forum you can surpass the experience of a good installer who has been fitting boilers for over 10 years?

A client who thinks that he needs to be one step ahead is probably one to be avoided!

Tony

Do you really think that by reading a forum you can surpass the experience of a good installer who has been fitting boilers for over 10 years?

A client who thinks that he needs to be one step ahead is probably one to be avoided!

Tony

Thank you for your reply - Avoiding clients in a recession sounds like a bad idea. Sort of renders this forum useless if you can't ask questions and expect answers.

I like to double check everything - 10 Years experience in fitting boilers means nothing to me.

Differences between Pro & Plus

different displays
different length standard warranty 1&2 year
2 speed variable pump on plus, 1 speed on pro
brass diverter body on plus, plastic on pro(borrowed from GW)

The plus also has better diagnostics and a built in filling loop.

The plus was originally grought out as a cheap foothold into the new build market for Vaillant uk.

Even the rep at that time recommended avoiding them for the normal household market.

I can understand you wanting to do some research. I always prefer talking to a prospective customer who has read up a little on what he wants and therefore is more likely to understand what I say at the site visit.

It also helps me if he/she has some idea of the size/water usage he will need.

It makes my job that little bit easier and makes the customer gain trust in me when I offer advice that he has already deemed needed and correct ;)

Thank you for your reply - Avoiding clients in a recession sounds like a bad idea. Sort of renders this forum useless if you can't ask questions and expect answers.

I like to double check everything - 10 Years experience in fitting boilers means nothing to me.

No harm asking questions and you have had some useful replies!

No harm double checking everything either.

You seem to have glossed over the shortcomings of a combi boiler! With two bathrooms I would be advising an unvented cylinder if your mains supply is up to it!

I would also prefer a seperate filling loop as customers dont seem to be able to manage the built in Vaillant ones very well ( although the Vok Linear is not that bad! )

It just worries me that by saying that you want to keep one step ahead it rather implies that you dont have much confidence in the knowledge of some installers.

Whilst I am the first to admit there are many who are lacking in their knowledge and attention to detail, its unfair to make it sound as if you think that all left school at 15 and plumbing is all they can do! ( PS I dont ( usually ) do plumbing! ).

Tony

bengasman said:
Hasn't your installer advised you?

With all due respect, you can't. Nobody can advise you on the best boiler for your situation and all the necessary bits that need doing, apart from a RGI who has visited your home and properly assessed what is there and can be reused, what needs altering, upgrading, repairing or servicing/cleaning.

The only thing you can get from the forum in that respect is advice on what the worst boilers are on the market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back