Back Boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
This is my first post and as you would guess my first problem. I have just moved into a house (my first) and all the services were switched off prior to moving in. I have turned on the gas mains tap and gone to light the back boiler and nothing happend, the fire at the front doesn't light either, got the manual off the net and i am doing what it says to light it but nothing, i can't smell gas either. in the manual it mentions the service tap, is this anything to do with the problem.
I hope anyone can help, many thanks

Sponsored Links
Check if the emergency control valve is in open position at the meter.

Is this a card meter or pay monthly? If a card meter check you have credit on it.

There is a service valve on the boiler, if it is a Baxi it will be under the fire front on right hand side.

it is a baxi bermuda, and it isn't a card meter. What is it i need to do to the valve, any particular way i turn it?

Sponsored Links
the back boilers i have come across usually do not have a lot in the way of safety systems. get a rgi to check that it works properly and does not spill fumes into the room from either the fire or the boiler, and get him to check the ventilation as well. i have found around 1 in 3 back boilers to be unsafe when inspected. a good service would not go amiss either. these things are just too tricky to do diy on.

Some of the really old Bermudas (5 radiants) have to have pilot lit before fire will work!!

If you have just moved into the house it would be prudent to have it checked by a RGI as previously posted!!

Many thanks for all your help, as it turned out it just needed the grey button holding in long enough for the gas to get through, so managed to get the pilot light lit-No problems. Now i have tried to put on the hot water and it is fine the boiler fires up etc. When i tried to turn on the Central Heating at the electronic control it trips the main breaker for the house electrics. Any suggestions???

I'm guessing it is tripping your rcd
Could be a faulty pump (if HW is gravity) or a faulty zone valve (less likely)

yes it is the rcd thats tripping, is there a way if isolating the pump to see if it is the problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back