Back Boiler.

J

Jimbo1978

Quick query guys.

I currently have a back boiler and will be changing to a combi after the christmas financial drain.
At the moment I will need to get an engineer out to the boiler as the pilot keeps going out and I grudge paying for something that will be getting binned in a few weeks. But as its a safety issue then needs must.

The pilot lights and runs for about 10/15 mins then i hear the boiler click and the pilot goes out. I have noticed that it burns about 60% orange and the rest is blue but the main burner itself is nice and blue when firing. The pilot also has its main flame at the top of the nozzle but also seems to have a small flame poking out the side of the nozzle( this is me looking at it through the wee bit of glass that it hides behind). Am I looking at big bucks to fix this or is the anything a could clean or check myself without a gas-safe cert.

Not trying to cut corners but the thought of spending lots of cash at xmas just before the new boiler goes in is a heartbreaker. :(

Thank you.

Jimbo. :D

PS. would i be better using a wee local engineer for the repair and new install or use a big company?

Sponsored Links
injector partially blocked, get thermocouple changed at the same time. \£99 with British gas or a little less with a local. lot of other checks to do as it's a BBF

What model is it?, most of the electronic bbus with asds will do this when the lint arrestors are blocked with dust.

Its a Glow-worm 45/2. I gave to bottom end under the fire a good hoover out about 2 months ago. There is a mesh panel on the right front side and this was full of dust but now it is clean. I cant seem to get access to the pilot nozzle to clean it. There is a gap just above and one under where the thermocouple and a cable go in.
Its a pain in the back door. If it was a car engine I'd have it singing a sweet song by now.
Any help would be appreciated..

Jim

Sponsored Links
gave it another good hoover and tried to clean it up as much as poss but cant get access to the pilot nozzle. However after many minutes of staring at it i had an idea. I rigged up a length of 4mm tube and fed it down near the nozzle and gave it a good blow(no pun) relit the boiler and hey presto its still not right. :LOL:
on initial relight it stayed burning(main burner) for about 15 mins. On a relight it only took 5 mins to go off. It seems temp related.
I have now took the huff :mad: with it and phoned a gas company for a new system.
The kids are gonna love the livingroom bonfires we will need to light over the xmas holiday :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back