back bolier packed up- which combi/where?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a 1930s house in January and the the bolier packed up after about 6 weeks. It is a back boiler in the downstairs back room and very old. I planned to change it anyway but first it stopped heating the water and then pipes started making strange loud noises so I've stopped using it and my only source of hot water is the electric shower.

I am going to have a condensing combi boiler installed and just wondered which boiler people would recommend?

I've had quotes by heating engineers and they've named brands from Ariston to Bosch Worcestor and Valiant. I'm looking for reliability and efficiency first of all.

Also, I'm having a kitchen extension built and the plan is to put new boiler in there but this won't be complete for a couple of months and I need hot water-I'm currently doing the bathroom and want to put in a mixer shower so I won't have my electric shower. The boiler is kind of holding things up there. The water tank/cylinder thing will go from upstairs bedroom but I don't want to put the new one in there. Any alternative suggestions about where to put the boiler now?

Sorry it's such a long post!

:oops:

Sponsored Links
What on earth is this about?

Do you want advice on your broken back boiler, your proposed new boiler, the temporary location of your new boiler until it is located in your proposed new extension, the difference between Ariston and Vaillant?

What about putting boiler in the loft then it would not need to be moved again.

I don't want advice on the back boiler- that's going anyway.

I would like advise on which boiler makes people would recommend since I don't know anything about the boilers different heating engineers have mentioned.

I was wondering on an alternative location not a temporary one- since I really need to get a boiler in now instead of waiting on the extension.

I was just trying to give as much info as possible- sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks namsag- I'll ask the engineer about putting it in the loft. I was just worried about access to it- my loft looks like no man's land to me.

Sponsored Links
You will not need a cylinder with a combi boiler. You will need to confirm the mains flow rate is adequate first !!!

In the meantime get an immersion heater element fitted to your cylinder to give you hot water until the new boiler is permanently fitted int he final position.

The Worcester and Vaillant are popular with installers and seem fairly reliable.

The most important factor in reliability is that the new boiler is installed on a clean system with a correctly sized gas pipe.

Tony

Vaillant undoubtedly are better made and easier to work on. As Tony says though you could pay top whack for a Vaillant have a 'muppet' fit it and end up with a worse installation than the cheapest boiler fitted by a good engineer. :rolleyes:

Vaillant with a good engineer = unbeatable in my opinion.

Boilers in loft ok but you will need the loft boarded out between loft hatch and boiler, a permanent electric light installed, a permanent loft ladder installed and also a hand/guard rail in loft around loft hatch to comply with regs & health a safety, otherwise if you get a warranty problem manufacturers can refuse to go up there.

Also remember that a combi should be sized for your intended hot water usage and not the radiator output ;)

The Valiant boiler was mentioned by the heating engineer I'd decided to use anyway so quite pleased- he's corgi reg. and highly recommended so that should be fine.

Those were my concerns about the loft- all work I plan to have done eventually but can't really at the moment. The immersion heater element thing sounds ideal and I will definitely get it done if it's not too expensive.

Thanks very much for all your advice :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back