Back externally facing door and frame plus fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a victorian house therefore hardwood would be best. Double glazed and clear, to let in lots of light.

What sort of cost should I be looking at? If I said £1000, would that be too much?

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string?

I tend to stay away from wood as its always warping, swelling and causing problems but I would say £1k is more the budget end of a decent quality hardwood door (Im assuming new matching frame and fitting here).

You could be looking at anything from 1K to 8k depending on style, wood type, security, finish etc.

its a victorian house, surely you'd want to keep it in the era for which it was built? as best as possible anyway. Besides which, I'm not sure why you'd be so anti-wood as it's been used for external doors for centuries.

It is a back door and only faces out on to the garden. I have a composite front door (which was already installed) made to look like wood. it sort of does I guess but the UPVC frame gives the game away.

Sponsored Links
You can get matching colored frames for composite doors. Have a look at some of these http://www.solidor.co.uk/our-doors
Or these http://www.residence9.co.uk/gallery

The problem with wood is that modern wood is rubbish.
The wood they used to use was slow grown quality trees, Then they would season it for years before using it. That stuff was great (apart from having to maintain it).

I will fit wood doors and windows but I leave the ordering it to the customer as I dont want all the constant call backs and complaints when they go wrong, Which in my experience they always do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back