Back from hols - can't light boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So went on hols for just over 2 weeks and decided to turn gas off at mains (never have done before, so why I did this time I've no idea).

Now can't light my trusty ideal mexico floorstanding boiler (oldish but reliable - has permanent pilot and thermocouple, only ever had to have thermocouples replaced apart from a new gas valve a few months ago).

Pilot won't light, just see the flash from the ignitor. Have been through the procedure - twist valve wait 3 minutes. Even tried holding button down for ages (got it into my head I could have air in pipe after switching it off which needed purging). Remember my Dad when I was younger lighting boiler with a taper after coming back from hols, but is not in instructions so I've left well alone.

Anyway, no joy, guy coming tomorrow am - any ideas what I've done by switching gas off? Other point of interest - should I switch gas off at mains when going on hols or not bother?? (Gas fire/cooker working normally btw)

Sponsored Links
I wonder why you joined xmas day 2004, are you just unlucky in life.

Keep the button pushed in halfway for 30secs and keep trying

Shouldn't have air in the pipe, no matter how long it was turned off. When was it last serviced and checked?

Serviced every summer, last one about 10 months ago. (Tried holding button half way down, no joy)

Sponsored Links
Well, feel a bit silly - boiler now lit. Gas man said just needed longer to "purge the system" - that said was here half an hour with some banging and clattering....

I'll leave the gas on next hols!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back