Back ground power use on socket circuits?

Commercial freezers do the reverse, they do not switch no/off but the motor varies in speed. The advantage I was referring to is when power is used, not how much power is used, if it can be set to use energy when the sun is shining like we do with domestic hot water it would save money, although not energy.

Denying power to the freezer, a smart switch, switching it off for a few hours during latter the hours of darkness, would force it to consume more solar, when solar was available.

Sponsored Links
Denying power to the freezer, a smart switch, switching it off for a few hours during latter the hours of darkness, would force it to consume more solar, when solar was available.
I totally agree, but is it really worth the effort, if we get a power cut, we want the freezer to keep stuff frozen until we get power again, be this solar or other, I am unsure how the inverter and batteries will act if there is a power cut when the batteries are nearly depleted and sun is not shinning, or what will happen when sun starts to shine?

Think it's safer not to fit smart sockets which may not work as router not powered in a power cut even if there is power to freezer.

No it doesn’t. However good or bad the insulation is the greater the temperature differential between inside and outside the fridge the greater the losses.

Of course it does, basic physics. The better the insulation of your home, the lower the cost of heating it. The better your freezer is insulated, the lower the costs of operating it. Of course, temperature differential does have a bearing on it, but mitigated by good insulation.

The statement I made was "If it goes below the set temperature, the losses will be greater." That still applies whatever the standard of insulation is.

and as it allows it to swing higher, than the set point, the losses will be less - so it all averages out nicely, but with lower energy consumption, than it otherwise would. All due to less frequent, but longer cooling runs..

Sponsored Links
Where are the smart appliances that can talk to the inverter and the weather forecast, and time their cycles accordingly? Eg my dishwasher pulls 2kW twice for about 15 minutes, an hour apart. It should be able to co-ordinate with the washing machine and the fridge so they're not all draw their maxima at the same time. I'm not sure what the dishwasher does in that hour but I suspect it could be flexible about when to draw that second peak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back