Back in the mists of time - one for all you old C/H experts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was built in 1971 and in the lounge was a "chimney" brest that housed a large gas floor mounted boiler. The boiler vented via the chimney up through the loft and through a vent tile in the loft. We had it changed a few years ago after we moved in, and the vent pipe in the loft was a fibre cement (or possibly asbestos based) type flue system which was removed.

I knocked out the old chimney brest part in the lounge today and was intrested to find that the flue liner in there that connected to the boiler and the loft part of the flue was simply an earthenware drainage pipe.

Was this normal, was it legal and was it safe?

im not worried im just wondering if it was a complete bodge job or wether it was normal practice for the time?

Sponsored Links
in 1971 there was little in the way of regulation and it could well have been fitted by a glazier or a joiner. It would certainly be illegal today.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I too am an old-timer. When I had a house built in 1970 I was pleased that the chimney was lined with salt-glazed pipes - it meant that I wouldn't have to have it lined when the inset gas boiler was fitted.

I seem to remember that s/g pipes were an acceptable method of lining a flue, but how you would stuff those clunky pipes down an existing flue was beyond me. Building a chimney with a s/g pipe liner was an altogether far easier matter.

Actually looking through some current info on the web reveals a few comments such as:

'Chimneys lined with salt glazed earthenware pipes are acceptable if the pipes comply with BS EN 1457.'

and

'When lining an existing chimney, a liner approved to BS 715 and BS 4543, Parts 1, 2 & 3 should be used.'

which seems to imply that existing s/g pipes are OK, but using them to reline isn't.

So if I moved into my 1970's house today, it would be legal to connect the gas boiler to the s/g chimney liner?

no, plus you're not allowed to fit non condensing boilers anyway. well not without exceptional circumstances, and ive yet to see one meet those yet.

what would prevent a condesor being installed there? not being funny, curious.

Salt glazed pipes were often used to line chimneys for gas fires.

They were very good for not leaking but they did not give much draught when the appliance was started into a cold flue.

They would also drip condensate into the fireplace at first.

I dont think they were used for a very long time slot on new builds.

Tony

Salt glazed equivalent still being used on new builds so thats gettin on for around 40 years.
Thermo salt glaze was usually a minimum of 7 inch diameter anything smaller than this and in long sections probably was drainage

I dont see many new builds with a fireplace in the London area.

Of course up north I know that people still like them. It adds a lot to the cost of a house though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back