Damp Patches - Internal Chimney Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had some damp patches appear on an internal chimney brest wall. They do not start at ceiling level but lower down the wall on the upstairs landing. I have checked the chimney brest in the loft space for any signs of water/damp to rule out problems with the flashing - all is dry. I have one fireplace which houses a gas fire that is used rarely but to cowls or simular on the chimney. One I guess is from the old boiler?? The chimey has a vent on the ground floor. Could this be caused by the terrible weather we have had recently? Rain wither coming down the chimney and soaking through the wall?? An advice would be much appreicated. We have lived in the house for just over a yr so do not know if this is a ongoing problem but never noticed it before. The patches are growing in size when it rains.

Sponsored Links
are these chimneys all ventilated top and bottom to permit airflow?

1. There's quite a bit of information ref. this very problem if you research on this forum.

2. Perhaps a chimney stack inspection is required - the flaunching might have perished. Likewise, the brickwork and pointing.

3. You really should determine which appliance is venting into which flue and if say a flue liner is present.

4. Is your chimney on a gable?

5. Has the flue with a vent been smoke tested for blockages or cracks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back