Back lit 3d world map

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some advice with this please.

Looking to install one of these in my home office:
DF4303B2-C415-48EE-9B00-4C9FB03ED057.jpeg

The room has this ceiling light and the live feeds are at the ceiling rose.
CA4BB31C-54E7-4C70-A621-9B481ACB8817.jpeg
We have the loft avoid above this room.

The map will go on the plain wall seen in the above image. Here’s another picture of the wall in question:

F2AF9C7B-B8D8-4626-A551-9E8E19F7ECA8.jpeg
The walls have dot and dabbed plasterboards.

I would like to have a backlit effect on the map. Don’t want it to be too bright and would like it to be evenly spread. Which type of lighting do you recommend for this?

Assuming I need a transformer, where should this be situated and how do I devise a safe zone for the cable as it comes down the wall?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would like to have a backlit effect on the map. Don’t want it to be too bright and would like it to be evenly spread. Which type of lighting do you recommend for this?
I think we need to know more.

I would have thought that getting 'even' backlighting of something as massive as that appears to be would be a serious challenge, and would probably require multiple light panels, particularly if (as I suspect/assume) the map is very close to the wall. Sounds potentially expensive to me :)

How big is the map, how is it supported/attached, how far will it be from the wall, and is it transparent or translucent - and is it going to be 'permanently' there (if not, you're likely to have a real problem :) ).?
Assuming I need a transformer, where should this be situated and how do I devise a safe zone for the cable as it comes down the wall?
I'm not so sure you'll need a transformer. If not, then simply put an accessory at the bottom of the ('mains') cable drop. However, if the lighting and wiring will be behind the map, and the map is to be 'permanent', then why does the cable need to be buried?

Kind Regards, John

Some thing like this 1658656165919.pngon ceiling would likely be a better method, strip lights 20220704_220311_1.jpg as used here to light my display cabinet are a series of small LED lights, so need some distance or you can see where each lamp is, a sheet of opaque perspex will help to defuse the light, but looking at a light which will be quite thick.

Lighting from side and top 1658656804851.png the light tapers off, likely easiest is Christmas tree lights as so many in a string. You can get ceiling lights for suspended ceilings which could cover area, but would be far too bright.

A quick look for "Back lit 3D world map" shows a number of products. They usually come with built-in LEDs that illuminate the edges of the landmasses. This one may be one with optional LEDs (maybe the reason for the 60% reduction). I think I would buy the complete product in that case rather than mess around.

Sponsored Links
As above...

Most seem to be sold with the LEDs and transformers, so you just plug it in to a wall socket.

Given that your walls are dot and dab, and that you have access to the space above the ceiling, you could use the lighting rose to power the required sockets and transformers and drop those down in the dot and dab cavity.

If you provided a link to the actual product rather than just a picture, others might be able to offer more comprehensive advice.

Bodge it - long string of white Christmas tree fairy lights hot glued along inside edge shining inwards. Not expensive and low wattage, but not bright in daytime.

Bright flat white light method - lots of 600x600 white panel lights on wall. Each is about 45W, so expect 200W of energy usage and about 100W of heat per square meter (work has a wall sized led screen and not pleasent to stand next to as can feel the radiated heat).

Thanks for the responses.
I have come across the LED Map's but they are expensive and also a but too colorful and bright for my liking. I was after a very subtle light, which may not be easy to achieve based on your responses.

This is the product I am looking at:

You can see it's fixing in this image:

1658744024118.png

I was planning to use some spacers and raise it off the wall. I could then have some lighting behind it. In addition to what you have said above, may be the small islands (including our own!) will present a challenge too.

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks again.

This is the product I am looking at: (link) You can see it's fixing in this image:
I was planning to use some spacers and raise it off the wall. I could then have some lighting behind it. In addition to what you have said above, may be the small islands (including our own!) will present a challenge too.
I don't think I yet fully understand. It seems that each land mass is 'a piece of wood', but do they come pre-attached to some sort of 'backing' (or do they have to be individually attached to the wall) and, if so, what is the nature of that backing (rigid?, translucent? etc.), and how is it attached to the wall.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think I yet fully understand. It seems that each land mass is 'a piece of wood', but do they come pre-attached to some sort of 'backing' (or do they have to be individually attached to the wall) and, if so, what is the nature of that backing (rigid?, translucent? etc.), and how is it attached to the wall.

Kind Regards, John
It sticky to the wall using double sided tape by default. hey are chunks of wood and you can see from the images that some are separate pieces where some of the countries exist as one piece of the overall jigsaw.
I could look to modify this by using some spacers to have it lifted off the wall slightly in order to get some lights behind it but based on the above, I 'm unsure on whether there are any decent options for having a backlit effect.

I have come across the LED Map's but they are expensive and also a but too colorful and bright for my liking
Here's a video from a (I believe) manufacturer of lit world maps. It could give you an idea of what might be involved in creating your own.

The use of a cut acrylic backing to mount small land masses, seems to be a sensible idea, but will add to the cost.

This is DIY'able, but I don't think it's going to be cheap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back