back porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back door to the garden is on the side of the property and is a bit too public for my tastes. I'd like to build a rear porch towards the back garden so that the final door opens into the garden. Do I need planning permission or building regs? I would be keeping the existing back door as well so it would be just like a front porch except it would be on the side and go backwards rather than forwards. Porch would be a meter wide and two meters long and 2.1 meters high. No electrics would be involved as I will utilise existing outdoor wall light. It would be approximately 30 cm away from the fence that would divide me from my neighbour?

Opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
im not clued up on planning and regs, but 2.1 is the normal height of a door so is it not taller than you think? you can go higher than that btw. im sure people will help you out on here :LOL:

Thank you s60tsy

You make a valid point re the door, so porch should be 2.4 high. What I am trying to avoid is a man coming from the council, so wish to be within building limits for building regs and planning.

regards

braincurdle :confused:

Sponsored Links
Just sing to yourself:

"Yes, I love her in the morning and I love her at night
I love her, yes, I love her when the stars are shining bright
I love her in the springtime and I love her in the fall
But last night on the backporch, I love her best of all"

Bing Crosby - Last Night On The Backporch

Thanks Richard for your suggestion I have read the portal planning details already and am looking for layman opinions to help me formulate a cunning plan.

Thanks Cliff for your suggestion that I should sing but the whole idea is that I can make a discrete exit into the back garden without being seen by passing 'ne'er do wells'. As the back door is annoyingly a side door - why oh why did they ever make these - singing will just draw attention to myself thereby negating the whole point of the exercise!

Thanks Richard for your suggestion I have read the portal planning details already and am looking for layman opinions to help me formulate a cunning plan.

You don't need a cunning plan, you just need to make it less than 3 square metres externally, and no more than 3 metres tall (for Planning), and keep an external door between it and the house (Building Control).

Cheers
Richard

Oh Richard,
one always needs a cunning plan!

no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway

lifted the above from the planning portal website and wondered if you know what it actually means

Oh Richard,
one always needs a cunning plan!

no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway

lifted the above from the planning portal website and wondered if you know what it actually means

Your point is? Are you now saying that part of the porch is less than 2m from the highway? If so, it requires planning permission.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back