Back to back back-boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing single plug socket in my hall. It's mounted in an internal wall using a dry-lining back-box.

I'd like to insert a double socket into the ring final on the other side of the wall. I was thinking back to back so that I could use one of the existing ring cables to go into it, then link back to the other side and socket using a short tail of cable. (hope this makes sense?)

The wall is short (about 45cm wide). The existing socket is 30cm up from the skirting board.

The PROBLEM is that the wall appears to be only 60mm thick- so with an existing backbox (assume its 35mm), if I add another 35mm backbox- it clearly won't fit flush to the wall.

Any ideas what I could do?

Sponsored Links
First of all just run it as a spur from the RFC.
Second move the new back box to the left or right of the old box, but parallel, so it does not interfere and run the cable out of the side of the box.

First of all just run it as a spur from the RFC.
Second move the new back box to the left or right of the old box, but parallel, so it does not interfere and run the cable out of the side of the box.

Thanks-
I should have thought to run it as a spur. I have always tried to avoid them in the past to avoid cramming so many wires into a terminal. I've been buying MK accessories though, so believe this will make it easier.

I suppose I should have said that the existing single is bang in the middle of the wall- so not easy to mount to left or right of it on the other side.

I could move the single to the side and make good- though not sure how much the existing cables will move to the side.

You could try it with a 25mm back box either on one side or both. I use 25mm for all my sockets - just make sure you do not have more than 10mm of grey cable in the back box then you should have enough.

Alternately why dont you replace the single with a double - this will give you more space to add the spur (and an extra socket) and probably more room to fit the additional socket next door.

Sponsored Links
You could also consider replacing the single with a double as riveralt has mentioned, but instead of replacing with 35mm boxes replace it with 25mm back box.
Then you should be able to have them back to back allowing for 60mm wall depth.
But if your socket face plates are the flat flush type fitting rather than the standard stepped ones, you will need to use 35mm back boxes anyway.

If either of you know somewhere where I can get 25mm deep DRYWALL boxes, then I think I'll be ok mounting them back to back.

Usually use TLC but they only seem to do 35 and 45mm.

Alternatively, a way of mounting a 25 mm metal back box in a dry wall which has no studs.

Looks like that could be the solution. Does the flange site proud of the wall? (or do you notch the wall slightly? They don't appear to have screwholes, so how do you fix the box to the wall to stop it falling out forwards?
the flange sits behind the plasterboard, and the hooks clip over the side of the back box.

Can't you just bolt a 35mm and a 25mm back to back? Filler them in tight then screw them up equally from either side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back