gang box size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am removing plasterboard and insulation that was put in to reduce noise through a party wall. The existing sockets are dry lining sockets. I want to sink these in the wall so I need suitable backboxes. I have seen two siezes, 25mm and 35mm. Which size should i use? I am assuming that the 25mm ones are for swicthes.

Sponsored Links
25mm are standard depth for flush mounted backboxes for either switches or sockets.

If you intend to fit flat plate sockets then it would pay to fit 35mm depth backboxes for a little extra room.

Given the choice, I would use 35mm for sockets anyway for the extra wiring space. 25mm boxes are pretty much the norm for sockets, but can be cramped for space even with just two 2.5 T&E cables. If you have any with a third cable for a spur, it's even more restricted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back