Back Wash from a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Over the years I have always managed to do most DIY tasks myself.
However this one has me stumpted:

I live in a town house and it has a wet room on the ground floor with a utility room next to it. The utility room has a sink and washing machine plumbed into the outlet of the sink.

The wet room has a shower and a small sink.
The problem that I am having is that when the washing washing empties, the water back washes into the shower trap. Whilst it nearly reaches the top of the trap, it slowly drains back again.
The issue is that we end up with a soap stain from the washing powder.

Does anyone know of something like a one way value that will stop the back washing, yet requires very little water pressure for the shower trap to drain into it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
it sounds like the sink drain where the washer is plumbed into is sharing a common drain with the shower drain. If the volume of water from the machine is not draining away fast enough due to small pipes or restrictions then it will inevitably fill up the drain pipes. The lowest point in the drain will likely be the shower and so you are seeing the waste water there. The easiest solution would be to plumb the washer into another drain or make it easier for the water to drain away. Could you fit a stand pipe type drain for the machine and plumb straight into the main drain?

Hi

Over the years I have always managed to do most DIY tasks myself.
However this one has me stumpted:

Does anyone know of something like a one way value that will stop the back washing, yet requires very little water pressure for the shower trap to drain into it?
Thanks
Hep V O waste valve :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back