Backboard (Instrument / Control Panel)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this is the wrong place but, i'm looking for the correct name for the kind of back board that contractors usually install instruments or control panels on.

Usually grey and about 10mm thick.

I've attached a couple of stock images for the kind of thing I'm after. The grey/black board that these instruments are mounted to, that is then fixed to the unistrut.

IMG_0257.jpg

asset-get.product.image.jsa

Sponsored Links
The first one looks like acrylic.

The second could be a metal sheet with a crackle finish paint.

I guess the question is - why do you want to know? If you need a sheet to mount things on there are all sorts of materials you could use, the most appropriate being influenced by (in no particular order) appearance, cost, mechanical and electrical properties, ease of working, what the ambient environment is like etc.

Plywood
MDF
French polished mahogany with birds-eye maple marquetry
Acrylic
ABS
SRBP
Aluminium
Mild steel
Stainless steel
Titanium

BAS, you missed out Tufnol and slate (goes to show I was born in the early half of the last century) :)

Sponsored Links
And marble, granite, carbon fibre, Contiboard...

I guess they all go here:

screenshot_729.jpg

:mrgreen:

No, but seriously - we do need to know more about what oceansoul wants to do if we're to make any helpful suggestions.

Ok, maybe the black Hach one wasn't the best example. I know what it is, I just don't know what to search for. I figure RS would stock this stuff. I've only ever seen it in that grey (as in the ATi example). I think its acrylic. Used by contractors in industrial locations (i work on water treatment plants), usually used to mount measurement instruments to. The board is then mounted onto a unistrut frame.

I need to replace two flow meter transmitters. Currently they are mounted to a unistrut frame, but the new ones are panel mounted. I plan on (if i can ever get hold of the stuff) making a board of this grey acrylic to fit the unistrut frame, then mount the flow meters to that.

We have loads of boards like this installed on site, but are at the end of the current AMP period so all the contractors have left, otherwise i would ask them :D

Some pictures from sites at work (not my pictures, found them in shared area)

All the same kind of board used.

Last edited:
None of it looks like acrylic
I've only ever seen it in that grey (as in the ATi example). I think its acrylic.
That example might be - none of your site photos look like it. I'd be concerned about the robustness of acrylic for your application. ABS might be ok

Can't you examine the existing stuff and see what it is/might be?

Liquor Return PS Level Transmitter
Liquor Return Flowmeter
Cake Conveyor Isolator
Why do I get the feeling that the cake and liquor are not what I'd enjoy eating and drinking?

acrylic softens with heat.

I've always liked laminated chipboard (kitchen worktop and similar). The ABS layer doesn't melt or flame. It is very easy to clean and accepts screws and labels well. It is not suitable for damp conditions though.

I remember using the tufnol brown stuff as an apprentice, and although this is similar its not quite the same.

I bumped into one of the contractors tidying up some bits and asked. Its PVC sheet. From here http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-plastic-sheets/7048217/

Various sizes too. Not sure why its listed as 1m by 1000mm?! Seems a bit odd.

Liquor Return PS Level Transmitter
Liquor Return Flowmeter
Cake Conveyor Isolator
Why do I get the feeling that the cake and liquor are not what I'd enjoy eating and drinking?

Certainly not!! Although I'm not too familiar with sewage works (thank god), I think "Cake" is what you get when you compress sewage sludge, and the "liquor" is the run of liquid that is squeezed out of the sludge.

Sewage cake together with human digestive processes (apparently) concentrate the heavy metals present in our environment and food.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back