Help to wire up a replacement outside PIR light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an outside lantern which is connected to an internal fused switch. The supply wires are as per the image attached - there are 4 wires in total. I think the black with brown sleeve on the left is a switched live. The existing light connects to the connection block with 3 prongs (see image attached) so the earth is left unconnected.
The new light however only appears to have a connection box for 3 wires (See third image) and I’m uncertain how to connect my 4 wires. The second connection contains an earth connection to the adjacent fixing.

I’ve been advised the following…

from left to right on picture ( top to bottom as fitted on wall)

brown
green/yellow
grey (blue sleeve)
black (brown sleeve)

As the 4th terminal already contains two connections : red bottom (to the PiR) and brown top (to the lamp) do I simply leave them in place but share the terminal with the red wire inserting the black (brown sleeve)?

Any suggestions or comments welcome. I would ask an Electrician to quote for this work but I think the job would be too small for them.

The new lamp is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-...XW9I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

kind Regards

Moribund

Attachments

• 9B86EB35-0355-44A0-8D9B-B8B582965D77.jpeg
    9B86EB35-0355-44A0-8D9B-B8B582965D77.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 3EE655C8-6B30-4145-9A2D-BF73B4A64B45.jpeg
    3EE655C8-6B30-4145-9A2D-BF73B4A64B45.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 5D05BFC9-3029-417D-ADA5-C72887788FE4.jpeg
    5D05BFC9-3029-417D-ADA5-C72887788FE4.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
To make sure, was the old light a PIR light as well?

Is there a switch which 'overides' the old light?

Or did the sensor on the old light activate another light somewhere?

First one seems more likely.

Thanks for the response. We moved into the property last year so the old light was already fitted.

The old light had a sensor (so Im assuming it was a PIR) but whenever I turned on the switch inside the hall the light was permanently on. This may have been the settings or it was simply broke.
See attached for image of old light -you can see the sensor at the bottom. Also inside the old light there is a box with 3 wires connected to it.

Im not aware of any other light being part of the circuit

Attachments

• 64BE68D4-69D4-45D6-A740-AAB0508F81AC.jpeg
    64BE68D4-69D4-45D6-A740-AAB0508F81AC.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 69
The old light had a sensor (so Im assuming it was a PIR) but whenever I turned on the switch inside the hall the light was permanently on.
It looks like that is the way it was wired so when the switch is off the light is controlled by the PIR - if it works.

If you want the same, then:

1658089213788.png

Sponsored Links
It looks like that is the way it was wired so when the switch is off the light is controlled by the PIR - if it works.

If you want the same, then:

View attachment 274735
I appreciate you taking the time to do that picture

So the switch is only used to switch the light on permanently. When the switch is off the power is still being supplied to the light by the brown cable and the PIR is in operation?

So the switch is only used to switch the light on permanently.
Yes, it was. No permanently off.

Most PIRs nowadays allow permanently on by flicking the switch off/on once or twice - also allows the light to be permanently off.
What do the instructions say?

When the switch is off the power is still being supplied to the light by the brown cable and the PIR is in operation?
Yes.
A picture of the switch wiring would confirm for certain.

Yes, it was. No permanently off.

Most PIRs nowadays allow permanently on by flicking the switch off/on once or twice - also allows the light to be permanently off.
What do the instructions say?

Yes.
A picture of the switch wiring would confirm for certain.
According to the instructions there’s no override facility on this lamp.

I will take a look at the switch wiring tomorrow and get back to you.

I appreciate your help on this EFLImpudence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back