Backbox Question

Looks like it could be thermalite behind 15mm of plaster if you look at the left of the box hole. Seems to finish suddenly though.

Sponsored Links
Here are a few more shots, after vacuuming. I hope they help.

IMG_0213.jpg

Sponsored Links
This room has a total of two single sockets. This one, on the exterior wall, and the other on an internal drywall

Bit odd.

Could it be a hollow building block that has got broken when the box was installed, and cavity wall insulation has found it's way in there?

Bit odd.

Could it be a hollow building block that has got broken when the box was installed, and cavity wall insulation has found it's way in there?
Could be, the house apparently has had cavity wall insulation added a few years ago.

Not inside of it. Just lots of sandy rubble around the box itself. Looked almost like someone had pushed the chunks back in...

I'm wondering if someone damaged the blockwork deep enough into the cavity when chasing the box in, then cemented the box in place.

When cavity wall insulation is installed, it certainly forms a quite dense wall of foam.

They are likely insulated blocks, hollow and filled with insulation, if that makes sense. You used to be able to get them years ago, terrible design. We did a rewire in a bungalow with them a few years ago, they were a nightmare. OK for 25mm boxes chased in to the minimum depth, or if you chased in between 2 blocks, which is difficult to identify when covered with plaster! On the few deeper boxes, or where chasing went a little deep, 2 lengths of conduit was used as spacers to support the box, fixed with long screws. This meant the box was secure without damaging the insulation too much, then the boxes were plastered in in the normal way.

Just to clarify this in my own mind, did your 2 lengths of conduit run horizontally, one above the other? And were they attached through the insulation material with the two screws?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back