Socket in back of wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some pax wardrobes and will be fixing them onto the wall. I've a socket behind which im wanting to put into the wardrobe.
I'd planned on removing the faceplate from the socket, cutting out the wardrobe and using longer screws to internally mount the socket face plate to the backbox.

This safe?

Sponsored Links
Why can't you just cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe to give access to the socket where it is. Or if you don't like that idea then drill a hole for a cable to go through and plug an extension lead into the socket. Still trying to think what use a socket in a wardrobe would be though.

Last edited:
But you could use a pattress box of suitable depth to make the socket stick out enough.
Cutting a hole in the wardrobe and leaving the socket there would probably be best as jj4091 suggested.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest, if the wardrobe is fixed. Why can't you do that
The back of the wardrobe is flat to the wall and only mm's thick.

Why can't you just cut a hole in the back of the wardrobe to give access to the socket where it is. Or if you don't like that idea then drill a hole for a cable to go through and plug an extension lead into the socket. Still trying to think what use a socket in a wardrobe would be though.
I'll be having lights inside the wardrobe, and if to standard they need to be accessible if wardrobes built in.

Just out of interest, if the wardrobe is fixed. Why can't you do that .... The back of the wardrobe is flat to the wall and only mm's thick.
To be honest, I'm personally far from convinced that you couldn't - I've seen plenty of flush sockets in wood panelling and wood-clad walls, which is essentially no different from what you are suggesting.

Some may be concerned because 'wood is inflammable', but I think that probably conunts as 'scraping the barrel'!

Having said that, it might be simpler (roughly as has been suggested) to simply drill a hole to take a cable, connect that cable in the existing backbox (with a 'blank plate' over it) and then connecting to a socket on a surface-mounted pattress within the wardrobe.

Kind Regards, John

How's the back of the wardrobe flat to the wall?
Don't you have skirting boards?
Furniture shouldn't be attached to walls, otherwise there's a risk of condensation and hidden mould build up.

To be honest, I'm personally far from convinced that you couldn't - I've seen plenty of flush sockets in wood panelling and wood-clad walls, which is essentially no different from what you are suggesting.

Some may be concerned because 'wood is inflammable', but I think that probably conunts as 'scraping the barrel'!

Having said that, it might be simpler (roughly as has been suggested) to simply drill a hole to take a cable, connect that cable in the existing backbox (with a 'blank plate' over it) and then connecting to a socket on a surface-mounted pattress within the wardrobe.

Kind Regards, John
My thoughts went straight to panelled walls too. I have no issue removing the back of the wardrobe and plugging straight into an existing plug, but a faceplate internally would be 100x neater.
How's the back of the wardrobe flat to the wall?
Don't you have skirting boards?
Furniture shouldn't be attached to walls, otherwise there's a risk of condensation and hidden mould build up.
The wardrobes are sat raised on a plinth with the back of the wardrobe touching the back wall, so no skirting. I'll be drilling vent holes in the back and the top to allow air to circulate reducing condensation and mould.

It's also on an internal wall so should be limited to regulated temperatures.

This thread basically covers what I had planned on, without an extended backbox.

my thoughts

the back is likely to be 3.2mm thick and perhaps 25-30mm from the wall' iff you remove skirting perhaps 10-15mm
with the cord support beneath the plug and the raised base may prevent plug insertion easily without stressing some plugs
a small extension with say 4 sockets fixed to the side may be more practical as it can be fixed at any height or front to back or even under a shelf so looped cable hangs out the way

If people are II would personally say 'unnecessarily') worried about the 'wood' with what the OP proposed, he could always use a spacer (or two) that 'extended' the backbox through the rear wall of the wardrobe (and longer screws) ...

1713206263469.png

I'll be having lights inside the wardrobe, and if to standard they need to be accessible if wardrobes built in.
Why do you need lights in a wardrobe it's not as though they are a particularly deep dark cavern.Never felt the need for a light in a wardrobe in 50 years. Not trying to shoot you down just save you time, effort and expense.

Why do you need lights in a wardrobe it's not as though they are a particularly deep dark cavern.Never felt the need for a light in a wardrobe in 50 years. Not trying to shoot you down just save you time, effort and expense.
I have lights in (above the doors)( of a couple of my built-in wardrobes. They are about 1 metre 'deep (from door to back), and a lot taller than the door, and it can therefore be pretty dark inside them, particularly at night when the only light is coming from the room's ceiling.

There are "Heritage" style accessories made out of inflammable timber.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back