Backdoor Lightswitch on inner door jamb/revel

Can be as generic as you want, your comment could still have been misinterpreted to the uninformed!
The uninformed can misinterpret anything.

It would be totally unrealistic to list all the other requirements and definitions which are relevant to arriving at a particular situation which you then use as the basis for saying "if we have <particular situation> then...".

Which is what I did.

I started from the position of an accessory having defined a safe zone, and you must be bonkers if you think it was necessary for me to explain how to get to that position in the first place.

The reverse side is only considered safe if the walls' thickness is 100mm or less, so again not necessarily so!
I'm beginning to think you are being deliberately obtuse.

Given that a safe zone can be defined by an accessory on the other side of a wall, as long as its position can be determined, I see no problem with saying that a switch in a reveal defines a zone on the wall just around the corner from it.

"CAN be defined". As per above, you must be bonkers if you think I'm going to reproduce chapter and verse of all the conditions which need to be met when I'm not trying to explain how an accessory creates a safe zone in the first place.

My statement was quite clear - given that there ARE ways in which an accessory CAN define a zone on the reverse side of the wall, I see no problem with extending that principle to a zone round the corner.

And I have rarely come across a situation were the reveal of an external door's reverse side has formed a wall that can be fixed to, they are normally part of the structure of the internal leaf of an the external wall.
I didn't say that.

Given that a safe zone can be defined by an accessory on the other side of a wall, as long as its position can be determined, I see no problem with saying that a switch in a reveal defines a zone on the wall just around the corner from it.

Sponsored Links
Safe zones go horizontally and vertically up and down from an accessory. They are also 150mm from the internal corner of walls and 150mm from the top of a wall where it meets the ceiling.
Not around corners, show me the regulations that states otherwise.
Not trying to be deliberately obtuse, it's a matter of fact, whether you care to use black or enlarged bold red type to make your point, what you are suggesting is non-compliant to BS7671.

Safe zones go horizontally and vertically up and down from an accessory. They are also 150mm from the internal corner of walls and 150mm from the top of a wall where it meets the ceiling.
Not around corners, show me the regulations that states otherwise.
Show me the regulation which specifies only internal corners.

Not trying to be deliberately obtuse, it's a matter of fact, whether you care to use black or enlarged bold red type to make your point, what you are suggesting is non-compliant to BS7671.
I don't believe it is.

The regulation does not limit corners to internal ones, and the fact that it allows an accessory to create a zone on the reverse side of a wall also makes it reasonable to say that it makes one around an external corner.

The regulations states adjoining walls/partitions.
It would be hard to define a door or window reveal, as an adjoining wall/partition.

Sponsored Links
No it wouldn't - you just have to decide it is.

In your scheme, at how many degrees does there stop being an angle between two adjoining walls or partitions?

I don't have a scheme, but mathematically an angle would be anything above 0 degrees and below 360 degrees. As far as the electrical requirements are concerned, I would not expect that an angle being formed at one degree being compliant or safe to route a cable in.
But the issues here is, is a reveal a wall, if it is not, it cannot be considered to be two adjoining walls.
In my experience external door reveals, as in the case of the OP's, do not have adjoining walls but are part of the same one.

I don't have a scheme, but mathematically an angle would be anything above 0 degrees and below 360 degrees.
So 270° would be an angle

As far as the electrical requirements are concerned, I would not expect that an angle being formed at one degree being compliant or safe to route a cable in.
270 is a lot larger than 1.

But the issues here is, is a reveal a wall, if it is not, it cannot be considered to be two adjoining walls.
In my experience external door reveals, as in the case of the OP's, do not have adjoining walls but are part of the same one.
What internal construction details, hidden from view by the plaster, are required for the construction to meet the definition of two adjoining walls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back