Backing up files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone knows of a good free software for automatic back up of files? I know Windows has it's own built in but thought I'd ask before I set that up.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Blas,

I use SyncToy which is free from Microsoft for doing data backups, inc pictures and music and videos, to an external hard drive. It does incremental backups so if you use it once a month, it will check what changes you have made and only change the backup to bring it upto date with your computer.

SyncToy, a free PowerToy for Microsoft Windows, is an easy to use, highly customizable program that helps users to do the heavy lifting involved with the copying, moving, and synchronization of different directories.
Most common operations can be performed with just a few clicks of the mouse, and additional customization is available without additional complexity.
SyncToy can manage multiple sets of folders at the same time; it can combine files from two folders in one case, and mimic renames and deletes in another case.
Unlike other applications, SyncToy actually keeps track of renames to files and will make sure those changes get carried over to the synchronized folder.

dave

Nice one Dave cheers mate. Will have a look at that and report back.

Dave, sorry to be a pain in the neck.

My PC is Vista 32 bit. There are 64 and 32 bit versions available. Based on this...
As the x86 term became common after the introduction of the 80386, it usually implies binary compatibility with the 32-bit instruction set of the 80386. This may sometimes be emphasized as x86-32 to distinguish it either from the original 16-bit x86-16 or from the newer 64-bit x86-64 (also called x64).[3] Although most x86 processors used in new personal computers and servers have 64-bit capabilities, to avoid compatibility problems with older computers or systems, the terms x86-64 and x64 are often used to denote 64-bit software, with the term x86 implying only 32-bit.
Which was sourced at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86 I am assuming the one named 'v21_x64.exe' is the 64 bit version and I need the one named 'v21_x86.exe' for 32 bit. Is that right?

SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x64.exe

SyncToySetupPackage_v21_x86.exe

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need the x86 version for 32 bit system.

The x86 is called that after the 80386 microprocessor that was used but it would now stop all confusion if they referred to all 32 bit programming as 32 bit.

dave

Sorted thank you Dave.

Just loaded and ran it. Nice bit of kit. Thank you very much for your help one again mate. You're a star.

I usually keep the same 'Pair' and once a month just run an 'Echo' sync.

That compares what is on the left (C:) drive with what is on the external HDD and then makes any changes on the right (external) disk adding new things and removing anything that I have deleted off the C: drive during the month.
Takes about 3 - 5 minutes depending upon how much has been changed.

dave

Back