Deleted Files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just accidentally pressed the delete key whilst a folder was highlighted in the 'Open File' window in MS Word. The folder and its contects have now been deleted. Why has this not gone to my recycle bin?? The recycle bin is set at 10% of a 40Gb HD and is empty and the 'do not move files to the recycle bin, delete files immediately box is not checked?? And why did it not ask me to confirm i wanted to delete the files?

Is there any way i can get these files back?

Sponsored Links
The good news is that it is often possible to recover files deleted accidentally but the bad news is that you may actually have to pay someone or purchase software to do this.

You may be lucky and find some freeware/shareware or even a trial version of a commercial program that will allow you to recover deleted files. Search Google for 'recover deleted files' or 'recover data'

Have a look at this http://www.bestshareware.net/howto/recover-deleted-files-and-folders.htm - cannot guarantee it will work though. I also suspect that it will only allow you to view the potential saved files and will require you to purchase :rolleyes:

In the meantime I would suggest that you do not try and save any other files to this partition until after recovery due to the risk of overwriting.

Sponsored Links
having looked in my version of "Word" there does not seem to be an undo button if you do it that way.

On mine they go straight into Norton Protect Files (If you have it) and not into Recycler

My mistake. there is an "undo" button in Windows Explorer, which works if you delete a file, I must have been thinking of that

If you can't find it anywhere on the hard disk then you will have to use one of the many "undelete" software programs available

The files have not gone, but their location on the disk has just been forgotten by windows, so it can't actually see them, and the space marked as free ready to copy more data to

Just make sure that you don't do any defraging, or saving of other files etc, until you have obtained the required software.

This one comes second in a google search http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

Sponsored Links
Back