Bad Day at Work?

I you could have googled this, a J pouch is a surgeon made pouch in the shape of a J, which replaces the rectum, this allows stools to form and be ejected near normally.
its not without problems, as its no substitute for a full bowel, for instance the output is acdidic and difficult to regulate without the use of coedine or opium.

The entire procedure can be performed in one operation, but is usually split into two or three. When done as a two-step, the first operation (step one) involves a colectomy (removal of the large intestine), and fashioning of the pouch. The patient is given a temporary defunctioning ileostomy (also known as a "loop ileostomy"). After a period of usually 6-8 weeks the second step (sometimes called the "takedown") is performed, in which the ileostomy is reversed. The reason for the temporary ileostomy is to allow the newly constructed pouch to fully heal without waste passing through it, thus avoiding infection.

Some surgeons prefer to perform a subtotal colectomy (removing all the colon except the rectum), since removal of the rectum can lead to complications with the anal sphincters. When a colectomy is performed as an emergency (which can arise from Toxic megacolon and other complications), and/or when the patient is extremely ill, the colectomy and pouch construction are performed in separate stages resulting in a three-part surgery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ileo-anal_pouch

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear wdik of your problem, if you dont mind me asking, is the system sealed ie do you have problems with the odour escaping , it must get embarassing for you if you are in a social environment?

its good it doesnt affect your social life greatly then.

Sponsored Links
WDIK, thank you for the link, it was most informative.
I have to admit I admire you for being able to cope with this in the way you do. I hope you don't suffer too much and wish you well in your life.
Take care.

Back