bad earth??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i am new here, My problem is i purchased a detatched cottage a few years ago and they had an extension built onto the kitchen, now i noticed when i first moved in that if you gently brushed your hand or finger along any metal appliance say fridge or microwave you got a tingling sensation. Now i have just removed my floor tiles and i am down to the concrete base on the kitchen floor at the moment but anyway i was in bare feet this morning and i touched the kettle and got a jolt i touched the microwave and the same thing here, i put on my shoes and back to just a tingle again, so it is a earthing issue right? the extension has its own seperate circuit supply in the meter cupboard. Any advise please.

Sponsored Links
My advice is:
Get an electrician to check your system.
Is the extension build still under any warranty, if so make enquiries about a claim for remedial work.

so it is a earthing issue right? the extension has its own seperate circuit supply in the meter cupboard. Any advise please.

This probably is an earthing issue but that is a very general description. This really is a job for an experienced, registered (www.competentperson.co.uk) electrician. Depending upon your earthing arrangements:
TT system: earth rod
TN-S system: separate earth conductor provided by your DNO
TN-C-S system : combined neutral & earth conductor provided by your DNO

DNO = District Network Operator.

The fault may be simple or complex and requires test equipment.

You should contact a reputable electrician as a matter of urgency and have them explain the problem to you before you have any work done. You could post the explanation on this forum for further guidance.

Sponsored Links
i purchased a detatched cottage a few years ago and they had an extension built onto the kitchen,
Is there an Electrical Installation Certificate for the electrical work?

If the extension was built in 2005 or later, is there a Building Regulations completion certificate for it?

now i noticed when i first moved in that if you gently brushed your hand or finger along any metal appliance say fridge or microwave you got a tingling sensation.
Was it only in the kitchen where you felt that, or throughout the house?

the only fault is in the kitchen, there is only a slight tingle now i have something on my feet. There is an adjoining utility room of the extension but there does not seem to be that prob in there with any of the white goods?

1) Stop touching electrical appliances.

2) Have you called an electrician yet?

i understand the basics with electricity, but what should i expect to hear from the sparky, you hear so many stories, overcharged, work not needed etc, sorry i don,t mean to offend the good guys

i understand the basics with electricity, but what should i expect to hear from the sparky, you hear so many stories, overcharged, work not needed etc, sorry i don,t mean to offend the good guys

The electrician needs to provide you with valid, accurate, scientific reasons for the symptoms that you describe. The most likely reason is that you have a significant potential difference (a voltage) between your earth circuit and true ground (the ground you walk on, the walls you touch) Why would you have a such a potential difference? Could be one or more of several reasons, the earth connections to the sockets may not be connected/loose, the earth connection for the ring-final circuit may have a loose earth connection or your entire property may not be earthed properly the latter requires a knowledge of earthing systems (and may or may not involve your DNO) so you really do need to get an electrician in quickly. Please stop touching things or you may actually receive a significant (possibly fatal) electric shock. This problem needs to be diagnosed and rectified urgently. If you are unsure about the electricians diagnosis then post it on here.

To be honest if you are getting shocks, you should turn it off at the consumer unit and not turn it back on until the problem is solved

You could also checke with the local council building control office to see if they were aware of the extension being built and whether a valid completion certificate was ever issued. That way you may learn more about who did the work and whether it was legal. Explain the problems and they may offer to "assist" in a claim against the electrician.

BUT DO THAT AFTER GETTING AN ELECTRICIAN.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back