Bad Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am really at a lost at what to do next. I have moved out of my house so i am able to finish renovating it. i had just got to the stage where living in it with a family and doing work was impossible. i have spent the last 12 weekends prepping, stripping paper etc.

A family members boyfriend's odd job firm came round to do some plastering and, as i work away from home in the week, i went in yesterday to check the "finished" work.

The standard of work was appalling, every plastered finish is uneven, bumpy and irregular.

Below is an email I sent to him detailing the issues:

A couple of general points:

Cleanliness - The amount of plaster that has been left on the floor was enough to fill a bucket – I know I said we were not using the floorboards but you couldn’t put a carpet over that much mess. It took me all day yesterday scraping the floors and clearing up. Also, and I didn’t say this because it was obvious, but there was no need for anyone to go into the front room. My new £20m/2 carpet has got plaster footprints over it – if they had to go in there (which they didn’t) they could have taken their shoes of, or at the very least cleaned them off a bit! It really shows a complete disrespect for someone’s home.

Standard of plastering – I will be frank here mate, the plastering is amateurish at the best. I have had plenty of plastering work done before but I have never seen such an uneven finish. Large flat walls shouldn’t need completely rubbing down to remove trowel marks and other faults – let alone the large ripples that some of my walls have been left with. Take for example the stud plasterboard partition between the living/dining room. When the living room side was done, I didn’t have to do anything else to it – it was like glass. There is no comparison to the other side that your guy has done. I really don’t believe no other client has commented. I have spent all of today sanding down the plastered walls in the main bedroom.

Ok room by room:

Bathroom

One of the shower walls has not been plastered at all, it is still left at the bonding layer
No beading used on any of the window recesses – why did we bother to buy them? They are still in the garage. Surely this is a fundamental step?
No electrics put back – be nice to have a light and pull

Main Bedroom

Plastering poor finish (in comparison the easy finish walls are much better)
Ceiling cracks have not been scrimmed as we discussed, they have just been filled and rubbed
Again no beeding used

Back Bedroom

Plastering poor finish
Some of the plaster on internal wall has already blown, and more looks like it will follow
Plaster over the hotwater tank and boiler electrics/controls – I could have lent you dust sheets
Again no beeding used on window recesses

Hall/Landing

Ceiling cracks not scrimmed
General finishing off not done

I am not a perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination, I also realize an older house will have imperfections and I totally accept this – but to check I wasn’t being too unrealistic I asked the plasterer I used last time to have a look (this guy quoted me same as you, all in, to do the job earlier this year, that was to skim everywhere etc). He made a lot of negative comments but he basically said it looked like a “diy job” and he couldn’t believe the guy had received any formal training, and I really have to agree with him.

What I find really disappointing is that I have worked every weekend in that house since November, I have scrubbed every inch of the walls in preparation and the plastering “phase” was supposed to be a turning point, starting to rebuild. In reality, where I should be fitting a bathroom (which I can’t do because the plastering isn’t finished) this week, instead I will be attempting to get the walls back to a decent finish.

What should i do now. He has offered to come and make amends, but i really don't want them back in the house. Should I pay them anything?

What should i do with the irregular finish on most of my walls? I have read in earlier posts that you shouldn't sandown plaster, but i haven't really got a choice.

Any advice - or indeed sympathetic words - would be greatly received!

cheers

Lee

Sponsored Links
I am sorry to read such an appaling list of complaints you have, about the "plastering work",,, (not),,, you have had done in your house. I think the cause of all your problems, can be found in the second paragraph of your post,,,

"A family members boyfriend's "odd job firm" came round to do some plastering". :rolleyes:

Unless you employ people who know exactly what they're doing, you can only expect sub-standard work.... You say he's offered to make amends,, If he can't do the job right the first time, he'll never get it right... Should you pay him??? I think he owes you money.

Roughcaster.

Yes sorry to hear about your troubles, but like roughcaster says getting odd job in seems to have backfired on you.
i dont know if you should pay him! if he has done any work that you feel is satisfactory then maybe you could pay him for that.
and get your original plasterer in to complete.

You've got my sympathies lj329, same thing happened to a friend of mine last year, full detached refurb job, top to bottom, my quote was £200 more expensive than his wifes friends of the family 'plasterers', shocking job all round! My 9yr old daughter would have done a better job.

Simple! Don't pay them! Get a professional in to make good & tell them thats where their money is going. Take some pictures as proof too.

Sponsored Links
Every sympathy. Had dreadful experience with plumbers - one neat and tidy and awful plumbing, second wonderful plumber turns the place into a pigsty. Both fully qualified and recommended! Leaves you feeling ill.

Suggest quote from reputable, professional firm then offer to pay the cowboys their original price less the cost of making good. Effectively you'll probably end up paying them nothing, but shows you are reasonable.

Nothing really left for me to say except commiserations; there seems to be far too many cowboys around in all of the trades these days. As with any trade, it’s always best to go on personal recommendation &, if you can, have a look at some of their work; & if the work isn’t up to scratch don’t pay!

Lee,

turned my guts reading that mate.your not the first this has happened to and certaintly wont be the last.

dont give them a penny,bloody tossers.

why not just get a good plasterer in,and start again? your not losing out money wise.look at it as those cowboys were just prepping the walls ready for the professionals.

Thanks for the replies.

I have taken a few photos, although it is difficult to appreciate in pictures:

View media item 9176 View media item 9177View media item 9178View media item 9179View media item 9180View media item 9182View media item 9184View media item 9185View media item 9186 View media item 9187
I suppose i broke a golden rule of not taking a personal recommendation, but I thought i was doing the right think, keeping the cash in the "family".

Anyway the guy came round today and had a look at the work, and to be fair to him he was completely speechless at the dire quality of the work. He didn't try to defend his workmen at all and refused to take any payment, so at least that is out of the way.

What i need to know now is how i put the plasterwork right.

This is what i have tried:

1. Taking the worst of with a scraper.
2. Rubbing down with a block and sandpaper (my god, plaser dust is evil :evil: - my eyes were bleeding by the end of the day)
3. Rubbing down with wet finer grade sandpaper

This process seems to be working, the walls are smoother, but still have large "waves" in them.

Is this right - a couple of the walls i will have rescrimmed, but the others I need to make good.

Any advice, as always...........

Cheers

Lee

Now i need to find something to wash my eyeballs in! :eek:

bloody hell thats crap,think you need to employ a proper spread who can advise on the best course of action,maybe reskimming everything properly,did they use scrim on the plasterboard?if not think your going to have problems with the boards cracking,BIG OF HIM NOT TAKING ANY DOSH,i wouldve said to him its going to cost this much to put right WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT.

It is a crap job they've done, but not so crap that it can't be re-skimmed over surely?
Tape the joints correctly, angle bead the recess edges and where needed and get someone in to do the job. If the guy has refused to take money, then are you any worse off financially? I mean did you supply the plaster?
If not, just get a decent plasterer in to re-skim.
I wouldn't think there is a need to start rubbing down and basjing plaster off....well only the thick lumps i guess.

the problem I have is that I have taken two weeks off work to work on the house - i was suppose to be starting in the bathroom.

So i really need to be cracking on with something.

So I am trying to salvage a couple of walls, and will have the rest that are just beyond repair, reskimmed next week (by my regular plasterer :LOL: )

I did supply all the original gear, so I will be out of pocket - but a lot wiser :rolleyes:

think thats the worse job i have ever seen and that is saying something.

they didnt even use skimbeads,on the reveals.

get a plasterer in and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back