Bad Practice Drywall video!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a newbie looking to drywall my kitchen/diner, I stumbled across this video and even as a beginner, the practices/recommendations shown seem unprofessional and some are even detrimental to safety (relating to electrics).

Interested to hear what others think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMqdJ6sRA0

My observations:

1. No taping of plasterboard joints other than around ceiling/wall join.
2. Running electric wiring attached to a batten without conduit.
3. Running electric wiring through a cut batten.

Sponsored Links
As a newbie looking to drywall my kitchen/diner, I stumbled across this video and even as a beginner, the practices/recommendations shown seem unprofessional and some are even detrimental to safety (relating to electrics).

Interested to hear what others think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BMqdJ6sRA0

My observations:

1. No taping of plasterboard joints other than around ceiling/wall join.
2. Running electric wiring attached to a batten without conduit.
3. Running electric wiring through a cut batten.
i think as long as the electric wires are in safe zones its ok they dont have to be in a conduit, rich c is best to ask on that one ,but as for not taping the joint thats crazy

if you listen to the video he says that the joints have been scrimmed, you wouldn't see this on a video of that quality, just gotta take his word for it, think IF i was going to tape and joint though i'd be using paper tape for everything except external corners.

as for the cables, like steve says i don't think there's a problem running the cable behind the boards, not 100% sure it's 'best practice' but is 'common practice' as for that diagonal notching to run the cable across the stud :eek:

Twin and earth cable requires no further mechanical protection, even notched though a batten it is fine as long as it is within a prescribed zone.

Scrim / paper tape veiws differ between peeps on here, I have my veiws and other havve different, one thing we will all agree on is that if you want a join to fail, using neither will do this amazingly well!!

Sponsored Links
Fogey time again - but I have yet to see a plastering clip of skimming , rendering, two coat work on youttube that looked like a time served tradesman
Why is this and does it apply to other trades?

Twin and earth cable requires no further mechanical protection, even notched though a batten it is fine as long as it is within a prescribed zone.

That cable was run down a batten in the middle of the board - will be well away from the safe zone at the room corner edge/top/bottom. The only way it would be safe would be if the socket/switch is then positioned in the same vertical line and then the safe zone would be inside the switch/socket edges. But we don't see this.
May have been a bit better if rather than a notch, a hole was drilled deeper in the batten and the cable kept as far under the surface of the board as poss?

Were those battens treated timber? They looked a bit green in colour.
Would have expected internally, that planed softwood or something like that would be fine. Having not done any battens before, I don't know but am interested.

That cable was run down a batten in the middle of the board - will be well away from the safe zone at the room corner edge/top/bottom. The only way it would be safe would be if the socket/switch is then positioned in the same vertical line and then the safe zone would be inside the switch/socket edges. But we don't see this.
May have been a bit better if rather than a notch, a hole was drilled deeper in the batten and the cable kept as far under the surface of the board as poss?

Were those battens treated timber? They looked a bit green in colour.
Would have expected internally, that planed softwood or something like that would be fine. Having not done any battens before, I don't know but am interested.
I didnt actually watch the video, as for depth from the plaster face, if it's less that 50mm it needs RCD protection if its covered in 1mm or plaster or 49mm!

Fogey time again - but I have yet to see a plastering clip of skimming , rendering, two coat work on youttube that looked like a time served tradesman
i think this one is quite good mich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKBVLivSMs&feature=fvst[/QUOTE]

Steve - this bloke is the first one that looks like a plasterer. In the clip of the wall he is skimming -

I like that he

- takes it off the hawk properly - ie off the top ,not the bottom - first clip I've seen of someone who looks like they've been shown by a tradesman
- has nice even strokes (although maybe could be a bit more economical with them when putting on the top )
- he seems to take it off the spot cleanly, not dipping in or leaving anything under the trowel (hard to see in the clip)
- when putting on the bottom of the wall, he doesn't start at the very bottom , but comes down over this. More efficient with his strokes
- trowel looks clean.

but

-he does not flatten in first coat before laying down
-he goes down on his knee, you should never do this
-he leaves his trowel, at the end , on its side. Bad for the trwoel and bad if you fall against it

i think this one is quite good mich http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKBVLivSMs&feature=fvst[/QUOTE]

Steve - this bloke is the first one that looks like a plasterer. In the clip of the wall he is skimming -

I like that he

- takes it off the hawk properly - ie off the top ,not the bottom - first clip I've seen of someone who looks like they've been shown by a tradesman
- has nice even strokes (although maybe could be a bit more economical with them when putting on the top )
- he seems to take it off the spot cleanly, not dipping in or leaving anything under the trowel (hard to see in the clip)
- when putting on the bottom of the wall, he doesn't start at the very bottom , but comes down over this. More efficient with his strokes
- trowel looks clean.

but

-he does not flatten in first coat before laying down
-he goes down on his knee, you should never do this
-he leaves his trowel, at the end , on its side. Bad for the trwoel and bad if you fall against it
why would you call taking it off the hawk from the front properly? does it matter if it comes from the front or back? i agree with you on his strokes they are fluent why wouldent you go down on a knee?
now about flattening the 1st coat in we all know you are supposed to do it
but if its flat already "and still wet" theres little point as because its wet, its going to move with your trowel when you lay the 2nd coat on and become flatter anyway, i remember the first time i ever saw sombody not flatten the first coat it was on a 35-40m2 lid he got the 1st coat so flat there was no need to flatten it

Steve, I asked for a good clip and you got me one - but I have a few more comments and they are meant in the right spirit

why would you call taking it off the hawk from the front properly?

Because it is the right way to do it (tidier and more efficient). One of the first signs that you haven't been taught by a tradesman, is that and not taking it off the board cleanly. It's like choking a hammer if you are a chippy

does it matter if it comes from the front or back?

From the front/top it is less messy , you can get more on hawk, it is more efficient. The reason people do it from the back is that they could not do it from front when starting out (ie kept dropping stuff) and did not persevere with it because they thought it was easier. In the short term yes it's easier, but this is a trade ! You have to learn some things that are difficult at first until they become second nature. Whoever taught him should have insisted he did it right while he was starting to to learn.

i agree with you on his strokes they are fluent

why wouldent you go down on a knee?

Housemaids knee for one, cartilage, kneecaps , ligmaments. Kneeling on hard floor, often damp - again another sign the trade is not being taught properly . Another lazy habit that should be corrected when learning. It's easier in the short term than bending properly - but doing it right will save your body.This is a long term thing if you do it for a living. Also again, not as efficient if you keep working on your knee . Is it easier to get up and down from your knee, or while bending knees and hips?

now about flattening the 1st coat in we all know you are supposed to do it
but if its flat already "and still wet" theres little point as because its wet, its going to move with your trowel when you lay the 2nd coat on and become flatter anyway, i remember the first time i ever saw sombody not flatten the first coat it was on a 35-40m2 lid he got the 1st coat so flat there was no need to flatten it

It’s not two coats for the sake of it – there is a reason for it .The first coat should tighten a little, that's the point of it. If you are moving the first coat around with the second coat then it's not plastering properly , not understanding the process or material. It can set unevenly that's why you see so much fatty plastering with lines from the first coat showing, all different shades and colours. It's not two coats for the sake of it, it has a purpose. Of course you should put on the first coat flat - but running your trowel over it is the skimming equivalent of ruling off a base coat. And it can be more efficient in the long run
Flattening a wall is not trowelling it up - it only takes a minute or two . Another short term gain for long term problems. If you can't spare two minutes in a guage, then you need to think about what you are doing.
We've seen loads of pics on here of plastering that is simply not done properly, For diy that's fine, IMHO everyone should have a go if they can. But if you are doing it every day, after serving your time, and leaving it sub standard then it's down to technique /method.
The guy in the clip has left ridges where top and bottom sections meet, they could do with a flatten.

Now the above might seem like nit picking but getting faster and prolonging your working life is about the accumulation of small differences, small improvements. Hundreds of thousands of hawkfuls, so the more efficient you are, the less stress on the body, the easier you make the work .
My old man is 66 and when not golfing still can throw on his 100m2 a day of skimming at his ease with no labourer and few faults( no one is perfect!), or lay 20 tonne of screed .
Being organised, having everything in the optimum position, working to a system, mixing up just enough at the right time, keeping everything clean, filling holes ahead of you with the last guage, squaring up reveals if needed , efficient ways of scrimming and beading – simple things like carrying something up the stairs and something down the stairs when you can, so you never waste a trip - all of these things are habits that shave time off and make the work easier. And the time to bed them in is at the start. The way you handle your hawk is a fundamental factor in being clean and efficient . And that is what makes the difference between being a ‘Plasterer’ and ‘Someone who Plasters'

The guy in the clip looks decent, nice rhythm etc and I’m sure the work is good. I'd be happpy to work with him . But he could improve slightly.

I’m and old fogey moaning I know - but this is the result of people not finishing their time and then teaching someone else ,who goes on to teach someone else – each time little bits are lost.

Off my chest now !!

Steve, I asked for a good clip and you got me one - but I have a few more comments and they are meant in the right spirit
:eek: blimey must have to u ages to type that lot i dont know where to start as a reply, but
1, it may well be a waste of exorcise flattening in a coat that is already flat, im also sure that when that spread layed on the second coat the first coat would have flattened in
2, i can see what you mean about the hawk but i prefer from the back i dont see this as a problem (have done it from the front but feels uncomfortable)
3, im glad your old man can still get a 100m2 on @66 this gives me encouragement as i can only just about do that now @51

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back