Bad smell from the shower tray.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved in to a new house and have a downstairs shower room, downstairs toilet and utility room. All three rooms are next to each other.

When my wife put the washing machine on I heard a gurgling sound from the shower room. There was a little bit of brown water at the bottom of the shower tray. Due to the smell and colour, I assume this is turd.

I fitted the washing machine recently and was very careful with the appliance waste pipe. As we have recently moved in I do not know if the problem has been there for a while.

Why is there dirty water being flushed in to the shower tray?
Is this a blockage somewhere or is it related to the washing?

Could it be the toilet and nothing to do with the washing machine?

What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Your first job should be to ensure the shower waste is not shared with any thing else. Have a look and reroute if necessary.

Post pics if you can.

It's either caused by a partial blockage, bad waste pipe plumbing, or both.

The first thing is to try and unblock any pipe that might be connected to the shower waste of washing machine waste, via any access panel there may be.

If the shower drains ok then it's likely there's a bad fall / configuration of where the waste pipes join a main stack or underground soil pipe.

The problem with showers is access to the waste pipe without removing tray.

One solution can be the fitting of a HepVO one way 'membrane' trap to the shower waste outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back