Bad smell from toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that whenever the toilet lid is left down for any period of time there is an unpleasant smell in the bathroom but when I lift the lid the toilet itself does not really seem to smell.

Anybody any ideas about this.

On one occasion there was a bit of a smell coming from the shower but I solved that by running the water - its not used too often so I guessed that the trap had gone dry.

The toilet has quite a small discharge pipe and not a lot of water in the bowl - could this be a problem or might I have a problem with the soil pipe.

When the lid is left up there doesnt seem to be a problem.

Sponsored Links
If things aren't used very often =(stagnant water, waste), just do what everyone else does, put some bleach down there. Hardly a a diy problem !!!

How long is "any period of time"....I am joining the pedants ;)

Those symptoms are consistent with having inadequate venting for the soil and drainage system.

What's the layout of your entire system?

Sponsored Links
Hi
Your problem could be cause by limescale and other grot up under rim. Get some toilet descaler eg limelight. Follow the instructions and your loo will soon be sweet smelling

Hi
I have same problem with a toilet on the ground floor and i have come to the conclution that it is a problem with ventalation of the soil pipe. I came to this conclution when i took the toilet away from its position to find a gust of air blowing from the soil pipe, also to be sure covered the toilet with cling film to confirm were the bad odour was originating. More vetalation is required.

Thanks all.

The toilet was only fitted last year and simply replaced an old one with which there wasn't a problem. It is on an outside wall and the soil pipe itself must go down the outside wall and then under our extension floor to who knows where because I havent been able to find a manhole cover that when lifted shows me stuff coming from our loo. There is a ventilation pipe that goes up to just above roof height. Could this be blocked?

We dont use the shower much but we do use the toilet regularly.

It doesnt seem to hold as much water in the bowl as the old model and I wondered if this could have something to do with it.

As I mentioned, there is no smell when the lid is left open so obviously the 'smell' is just being dissapated around the room.

When people mention I need more ventilation do they mean to the bathroom as a whole or are they talking about the ventilaiotn pipe that goes up from the soil pipe?

We didnt have an extractor fan put in the bathroom, but of course that wouldnt be on anyway whilst we are not in the bathroom and the smell is obvious when we goin if the toilet lid has been left down all day and the door to the bathroom has been closed.

jamesn6 said:
There is a ventilation pipe that goes up to just above roof height. Could this be blocked?
Usually blockages are prevented by the top of the vent pipe being covered by a Mousetrap™ style cage on top. Do you have one of these, or is the top of the vent pipe simply an open end?

We dont use the shower much but we do use the toilet regularly.
You could determine whether the smell is emerging from the WC or the shower by alternatively covering each with cling film (or something similar).

It doesnt seem to hold as much water in the bowl as the old model and I wondered if this could have something to do with it.
It's eminently possible.

As I mentioned, there is no smell when the lid is left open so obviously the 'smell' is just being dissapated around the room.

When people mention I need more ventilation do they mean to the bathroom as a whole or are they talking about the ventilaiotn pipe that goes up from the soil pipe?
To be picky, a vent is a vent, and ventilation is not the same thing. I previously mentioned venting, by which I mean a vent for positive pressure within the drainage system. If the vent is blocked, then not only might smells percolate through the water in the WC pan (and yes this does happen), but flushing the loo could draw some or all of the water seal from the shower trap.

The next step is to check that the vent is not blocked.

Right, I will have a look at the vent pipe but it is capped by a mesh top so probably isnt blocked.

Our drainage is the two pipe system, ie the bath and basin go out of one wall into a hopper and then down to the same drain as the utility sink. The toilet goes out of another wall into the soil pipe. The shower is next to the toilet and I havent a clue where its pipe goes as I cant see one coming out of the wall anywhere.

I dont think that the water will go to the same drain as the bath as its a long way away from it.

Do you think then that somehow the shower joins up with the soil pipe somewhere and this might be a route of the problem. The shower plughole isnt smelling though.

Can a blockage in the soil pipe cause such a smell?

Its all a bit of a mystery because we definitely didnt have this problem with the old toilet.

jamesn6 said:
Right, I will have a look at the vent pipe but it is capped by a mesh top so probably isnt blocked.
I agree - unlikely.

Our drainage is the two pipe system, ie the bath and basin go out of one wall into a hopper and then down to the same drain as the utility sink. The toilet goes out of another wall into the soil pipe.
OK - the presence of a gully means that any soil pipe vent problem won't affect, or be affected, by the bath.

Do you think then that somehow the shower joins up with the soil pipe somewhere and this might be a route of the problem.
I can't see how, at the moment.

Can a blockage in the soil pipe cause such a smell?
It can cause a smell, but I can't tell from here whether it can cause such a smell.

Its all a bit of a mystery because we definitely didnt have this problem with the old toilet.
A mystery, indeed yes. My next point of investigation would be to have a good look at the pan connector and pan spigot. Did you fit this? Do you know if it was a good and tight fit? Can you check that there is definately no seepage? Can you measure the pan spigot diameter? Can you see where the pan connector goes into the soil branch? Is it secure and well sealed?

Toilet is a niagara ajanta - my friend fitted it. Cant see a problem where it connects to the soil branch - no leakage that I can see. It is smaller overall than original WC but is in same place.

OK. Have a good look at the pan connector and pan spigot. Did you fit this? Do you know if it was a good and tight fit? Can you check that there is definately no seepage? Can you measure the pan spigot diameter?

have a look for a captains log in the pan, often the case of the smell in my house :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back