BADLY BEHAVING CANDY GO FS 262-80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MAKE: CANDY GO FS 262-80
MDLNO : 3100359310440821

so - got a candy GO FS 262-80.

had it a few years - basically picked it up from a rented property as everything had to go - so unsure as to how old it is, but its always worked nicely for me.

recently noticed the element was gone.

no problem - removed element, ordered a new one - refitted - tested. brilliant.

took the opportunity to give everything a really good clean out - there was a decent amount of junk removed, only hardened lime scale and other such goo - no objects of any kind.

put it all back together, run some tests, everything seems fine - do a hot wash with laundry inside to give it a full run through -

cycle eneded perfectly.

next morning i put the back plate back on a move it into its cupboard - set a wash off and it kicks violently into life with a terrible screech - so i pulled the plug.

everything is connected properly water on power obviously on -

after some investigation and re dismantling i notice the plastic sheet surround has drip and run marks. and a strong smell of fabric softener. a poke around the PCB and it looks like a few components are fried.

and by the way the dial buzzed - possibly thats gone aswell.

i cleaned the plastic surround and the circuit board with ipa delicately - and put it back together - situation currently sits with the machine powering up - no jerks screeches or buzzes - but when the dial is turned to a cycle - it initially operates normally - dial clicks but then it freezes and the cold wash indicator flashes 5 times.

i understand this to be a blocked line or pump failure -

so went through the plumbing again just to check if in the move i knocked a lump of goo loose.

nothing -

im assuming an electrical component on the board related to the pump / intake / waste lines is dead -

im keen not to give up on it but at a point where my knowledge is weakening.

ive attached photos of the machine and the offending components -

one shows the three offending components, coded DR201, CR202 & CR201
all three look a bit charred - components CR201 & CR202 have definitely burnt a leg each. all three components fail continuity tests.

the switch seems to work - i continuity tested it and it opens and closes the circuit at all the appropriate times. so im guessing thats fine.

my question is - do these symptoms and the machines behaviors add up?

the parts i assume think are 2 capacitors and something that look like a resistor but im not sure it is one. its hard to see any of the printing. how can i get my hands on replacements? im happy to solder away but im not knowledgeable about the correct parts.

please help!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• culprits.jpg
    culprits.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 118
  • culprits2.jpg
    culprits2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 107
  • modelno.jpg
    modelno.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 129
  • pcbbackbeta copy.jpg
    pcbbackbeta copy.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 135
  • pcbbackbeta.jpg
    pcbbackbeta.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 115
  • pcbref.jpg
    pcbref.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
DR210 is a diode & should read continuity in one direction & no continuity when you swop your leads around. The 2 capacitors may well show no continuity but that does not make them faulty & my experience of them failing is that they tend to bulge & look bloated when they go. The black on the legs of yours just looks like the can coating has run during manufacture , not that the legs have burnt. It doesn't help much but I think your fault lies elsewhere.

Last edited:
The component ringed in red seems to have some gey matter surrounding four of its legs. Could this be debris such as dried out fabric conditioner.
candy comfort.jpg

To be honest the conductivity of fabric softner solution and the 330 volts DC in that area of the board could easily have resulted is many components having been zapped. If the voltage regulator that supplies the micro-processor with typically 5 volts was affected by 330 volts through the liquide then the micro-processor will be destroyed internally.

The fact that the PCB has slots cut indicates the designer was aware of th possibility of dampness that would lead to tracking between terminals at high potential differences so it is a electrically stressed part of the PCB. Liquid will be very destructive.

Sponsored Links
Never noticed that Bernard, but don't you think it is just a mounting spacer. I think you are probably correct about the rest of your suspicions though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back