Badly damaged walls - advice needed!!

It's called experience. Something you obviously lack. :rolleyes:

I only see the lack of, I have 23 years behind me, what about you? I do believe we have bumped into one and other before, you had just started out and that wasn't too long ago.

Converse this experience and put me stright if you feel confident.....

eh? Been doing this for decades.

Sponsored Links
Be careful with the internet ..........
Polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH, PVA, or PVAl) is a water-soluble synthetic polymer (not to be confused with polyvinyl acetate, a popular wood glue). ...
Poly Vinyl Acetate anyone?
One coat or two sir :LOL:

It's called experience. Something you obviously lack. :rolleyes:

I only see the lack of, I have 23 years behind me, what about you? I do believe we have bumped into one and other before, you had just started out and that wasn't too long ago.

Converse this experience and put me stright if you feel confident.....

eh? Been doing this for decades.

So you say :rolleyes:

You should be able to hold your own in a discussion on the correct use of pva without lowering the tone then..?

Sponsored Links
Polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH, PVA, or PVAl) is a water-soluble synthetic polymer (not to be confused with polyvinyl acetate, a popular wood glue). ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

both water soluble, the point...

Cowboys use it.

Your point, maybe - But when you set out your stall about being people able 'to back up their theory' and 'support your assertion',it would have been better made if you'd linked to the correct material .

The first line of your link says

" Polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH, PVA, or PVAl) is a water-soluble synthetic polymer (not to be confused with polyvinyl acetate, a popular wood glue"

So you

a - did not read the link you posted
b- you had no idea what the PVA being discussed actually stood for
c- did not understand what you read

Either way, not a great way of backing up your 'keep up and you may learn something' comment !

Why not just say - 'sorry guys, made a mistake with that link' ?

Both being 'water soluble' is not a very convincing wriggle, I'm afraid.

PVA has its uses and limitations. Using it does not make you a cowboy but, like most things, using it in the wrong way does.

Christ you won’t give it up even when your wrong will you, perhaps youve been using the wrong PVA all those years :LOL:

Your not one of geriants alter egos are you :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

both water soluble, the point...

Cowboys use it.

Your point, maybe - But when you set out your stall about being people able 'to back up their theory' and 'support your assertion',it would have been better made if you'd linked to the correct material .

The first line of your link says

" Polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH, PVA, or PVAl) is a water-soluble synthetic polymer (not to be confused with polyvinyl acetate, a popular wood glue"

So you

a - did not read the link you posted
b- you had no idea what the PVA being discussed actually stood for
c- did not understand what you read

Either way, not a great way of backing up your 'keep up and you may learn something' comment !

Why not just say - 'sorry guys, made a mistake with that link' ?

Both being 'water soluble' is not a very convincing wriggle, I'm afraid.

PVA has its uses and limitations. Using it does not make you a cowboy but, like most things, using it in the wrong way does.

Yes I corrected the link that I did post in haste, no big deal. I asked why pva a fresh float coat (a new wall ready for finish) to control suction. It matters not what aggragate you use.

Basic principals of plastering tell you that you need suction and part of the art is knowing how to control it. Plasterboard is a prime example, it's a low suction background. It's designed to suck plaster into the board and when applied correctly you will have much trouble scraping finish off when it's set because it becomes part of the board due to suction. You wouldn't pva plasterboard, would you..?

If you use pva this basic principal is lost and yes pva does have it's uses but not as suction control on freshly floated walls.

Christ you won’t give it up even when your wrong will you, perhaps youve been using the wrong PVA all those years :LOL:

Your not one of geriants alter egos are you :rolleyes:

I don't use pva, I take pride in my work and I would be laughed off the job if I started mixing it up. As I have stated, I'm a traditional wet plasterer, It's very rare I over skim....

I did notice you are using sarcasm to hide your........

Yes I corrected the link that I did post in haste, no big deal. I asked why pva a fresh float coat (a new wall ready for finish) to control suction. It matters not what aggragate you use.
You post the wrong Wiki link to a completely different chemical compound & say it’s no big deal :confused:

& who said anything about using PVA over a fresh float coat?

Basic principals of plastering tell you that you need suction and part of the art is knowing how to control it.
Well you got that one right :LOL:

Plasterboard is a prime example, it's a low suction background. It's designed to suck plaster into the board and when applied correctly you will have much trouble scraping finish off when it's set because it becomes part of the board due to suction. You wouldn't pva plasterboard, would you..?
Absolutely not; if you read my posts you'll find I never said that.

If you use pva this basic principal is lost and yes pva does have it's uses but not as suction control on freshly floated walls.
Again, I never said that; what I said was;
but with new base plaster or render, plain old water is generally much better anyway.
Water is by far the best for controlling suction on new render, blocks or base coat plaster (that has been allowed to dry out).
This is getting boring now
asleep-045.gif

You post the wrong Wiki link to a completely different chemical compound & say it’s no big deal :confused:

Basic principals of plastering tell you that you need suction and part of the art is knowing how to control it.

Plasterboard is a prime example, it's a low suction background. It's designed to suck plaster into the board and when applied correctly you will have much trouble scraping finish off when it's set because it becomes part of the board due to suction. You wouldn't pva plasterboard, would you..?

but with new base plaster or render, plain old water is generally much better anyway.
Water is by far the best for controlling suction on new render, blocks or base coat plaster (that has been allowed to dry out).
asleep-045.gif

You didn't say very much until joe mouth came along.
What you said and why I asked was

Yes it would. First coat 5/1 water/pva put on, allowed to dry. Second coat 3ish/1 pva/water put on, skimmed while tacky. As advised by an untold number of plasterers on this very board.
Where have “untold numbers of plasters on the very board” advocated that PVA ing is necessary the night before a conventional re-skim; I’ve been here since 2004 & none of the spreads I know who still contribute on a daily basis & others that have since disappeared have ever advocated that; lets have some post links!

I reiterate what I said in my earlier post; PVA the day before is only necessary where it’s being used as a bonding coat on difficult & non porous surfaces; Artex, gloss/acrylic paint, tiles etc usually applied over a very much scored surface & often mixed with plaster or cement & left to dry out. All that’s needed the following day is a light wash coat of PVA, just enough to liven the surface; if you over scrub it, the whole lot re-emulsifies & defeats the object. For conventional skim over emulsion or base coat, PVA is primarily used to control suction & in this case you will do 2 coats in fairly quick succession in the first 20 minutes or so & skim when tacky but with new base plaster or render, plain old water is generally much better anyway.

You’re posting misleading information about the use of PVA & I don’t understand why some of the other experienced spreads haven’t commented on this so far.

In it's context you stated pva was used to control suction and implied pva can be used to control suction with "new base plaster or render" hence the question.

Hope your work is better than your selective editing.. I took my mother for a ct scan today, whats your excuse for the day of working.....?
Speaks volumes.

asleep-045.gif

P.S I quoted micilin, it's not all about you ;)

Yes I corrected the link that I did post in haste, no big deal.

Of course a little mistake no big deal, which is why I was giving you a little heads up first so you could correct it.

However, instead of just acknowledging this , you initially glossed over this saying that the basic point was they are both water soluble instead of just saying you posted a link to a different compound.

Now I don't think we as plasterers should be expected to be chemists, but the reason I came in was (apart from my being arguably the most pedantic poster here) your comment about others knowing their stuff.

Even a cursory reading of the Wiki page on PVAl would tell you that it was the wrong compound . PVAl and PVAc are different. If you 'knew your stuff' enough to be familiar with Poly Vinyl Acetate, then the link to Poly Vinyl ALCOHOL would have jumped out at you as wrong. It just seemed a tad rich accusing others of a lack of knowledge when you did not display it yourself.

And posting stuff you haven't read is not a great idea !

Saying only cowboys use it really got me thinking you were way off the mark. Until BG came up with their 'Bond it' , they recommended the use of PVA products for their plasters, both for adhesion and suction control . Febond PVA was an industry standard., as was Unibond. So much so that 'Unibonding' was a verb in the plasterers vernacular. Someone in the game for longer than 10 years would know this.

So , no problem posting a link in error, but to my eyes you wouldn't have realised it was the wrong stuff until it was pointed out - a bit like posting link for hardwall to skim plasterboard, and then saying 'well they are both plasters that are mixed with water ' .

You wouldn't pva plasterboard, would you..?

Not as a rule, but on old Boards,Some blue Sound blocks perhaps

PVA , like SBR, has a variety of uses some of which involve applying as sealing the day before, some of which involve applying same day as a chemical key , some which involve mixing with aggreate for mechanical key.

[/b]

Hope your work is better than your selective editing..
Selective editing, now you’re clutching at straws; you’re just nit picking & being pedantic as trolls are. :rolleyes:

I took my mother for a ct scan today
Sorry your mums not well but what the hell has that got to do with it :confused: , are you looking for a sympathy vote? Or maybe trying to find an excuse for the nit picking drivel you’re posting. :rolleyes:
whats your excuse for the day of working.....?
Speaks volumes.
Speak volumes about what? How do you know I’m not working? I could using my iPad :cool: just waiting to for my last mix of the day to go off so I can trowel up; waiting to grout up the bathroom I’ve just fitted out & tiled or just been rained off cos it’s too wet for ground works. :LOL:

Not that it has anything to do with you but I am actually finishing off my speech for my daughters wedding this weekend. Again, not that it has anything to do with you but most of my work tends to be at weekends; not this weekend obviously. You have no idea what type of work I do, when or how hard I work but it wouldn’t take much effort for you to form some idea. I never advertise, am very selective, don’t come cheap & my reputation on this forum speaks for itself. ;)

Selective editing, now you’re clutching at straws; you’re just nit picking & being pedantic as trolls are. :rolleyes:

Hardly minute detail.

Sorry your mums not well but what the hell has that got to do with it :confused: , are you looking for a sympathy vote? Or maybe trying to find an excuse for the nit picking drivel you’re posting. :rolleyes:

Speak volumes about what? How do you know I’m not working? I could using my iPad :cool: just waiting to for my last mix of the day to go off so I can trowel up; waiting to grout up the bathroom I’ve just fitted out & tiled or just been rained off cos it’s too wet for ground works.

It would seem you understood what I was getting at so you insert verbal for your sheep 90...

Speak volumes about what? How do you know I’m not working? I could using my iPad :cool: just waiting to for my last mix of the day to go off so I can trowel up; waiting to grout up the bathroom I’ve just fitted out & tiled or just been rained off cos it’s too wet for ground works. :LOL:

Not that it has anything to do with you but I am actually finishing off my speech for my daughters wedding this weekend. Again, not that it has anything to do with you but most of my work tends to be at weekends; not this weekend obviously. You have no idea what type of work I do, when or how hard I work but it wouldn’t take much effort for you to form some idea. I never advertise, am very selective, don’t come cheap & my reputation on this forum speaks for itself. ;)

So I was right you were not working and conveniently you only work weekends, that would cover you for all the weekday posts you do.

I can see you thrive off internet advice forums. My reputation was built up over 23 years of plastering and taking pride in what I do not internet forums ;) Maybe you should drop your price and you would be able fill your week... :mrgreen:

Now back to making a mess of this plumbing I'm trying to finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back