Need advice filling holes in coved ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I stripped the paper off my ceiling the other day. It was very thick painted woodchip paper over gloss painted lining paper, so a bit of a pain to get off.

It looks like the curved plastered in coving is full of cracks that were filled in. The filled in Peices came off with the paper so left with lots of bad plaster.

Any advice as to how I should go about filling these? As well as the cracks in the ceiling? I need to get it good as I want to get it skimmed by a plasterer.

WP_20160709_19_01_42_Pro.jpg
WP_20160709_19_01_49_Pro.jpg
WP_20160709_19_01_59_Pro.jpg

Sponsored Links
Really you should chip back to good plaster and then re-skim, perhaps using a bonding, undercoat, but its going to depend on how good you are at plastering. For small jobs I find the ready mix patching plaster good and if its deep I mix up a bonding coat first, sand back when dry and patch in. The readimix is expensive, but for small jobs it works out cheaper as a bucket that can be resealed goes a long way.

For the large cracks, scrape them out a bit to give the plaster something to grab and use a patching plaster (ready mix). Dress it higher as it shrinks a bit and then buy some fine foam sanding blocks from the £1 shop and sand in to the existing.

Thanks for the reply mate. Will have a look for that ready mix today :)

That's a bad crack you have running down the wall you need to investigate further take the plaster away and check the brickwork

Sponsored Links
Cheers Steve, yeah will probably need to take a foot off each side, attach metal mesh and plaster over as the brick has seperated

If you can get the floor boards up, I'd have a look at why the wall has dropped.

there is actually a huge shaft halfway down so the wall isn't attatche'd to anything halfway down which is pretty scary! Not sure how it is attached downstairs. Might just have to pack lots of bonding in there as a metal beading will require taking off the render which I'm not sure about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back