Removing Artex (stuck to plaster) from ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all. I got some artex type stuff on my kitchen ceiling. before anyone mentions it I had a sample tested for asbestos and it didn't detect any.

The ceiling looks like it was originally painted plaster, then lining papered over years later with thick lining paper to hide all the cracks. Then most likely years after that the artex was applied on top of the lining paper to hide the cracked ceiling showing through the paper.

Now the paper that is on top of the painted areas of the ceiling just pulls off which is great! However there are areas where it looks like when they were applying the artex they ripped off areas of the paper and plastered over damage in the ceiling. The artex is pretty much stuck down good on these plastered areas.

This is an absolute nightmare to try and get off and somethings it scrapes off ok and sometimes not.

Just wondering is there an easier way to get this stuff off other than scraping? Can some sort of chemical soften it? I have peelaway for paint and might try to see if that softens it, though doubt it will penetrate it :(

Sponsored Links
I could, though about 90% of the paper is already off and boarding would be more work. I read steaming might be good to soften the artex. Anyone had experience with that?

I spent HOURS removing artex and filling / sanding two ceilings. In the end after all that I got them boarded and skimmed. Should have saved the effort and done it straight off.

I softened with a steamer and scraped FWIW.

Sponsored Links
Try a steamer - £20-30 from screwfix
Cheaper to hire but not much

Don't go mad and allow time for it to soften
It should come off in sheets

yeah steamer works good ;) needs to be left on for a while then I use a large chisel to scrape off in one go.

Also helps to score it a bit with the edge of the chisel.

I have a telescopic scraper made by Harris- about 6" wide and it works great

What is the state of the ceiling after the artex has been removed? Does it need much attention or just a bit of filler?

Mike

It will definitly need a skim. Some cracks and patches have been filled in. Also it has been painted and over that paint there looks like possibly some thin distemper. My plasterer says that will all need to come off some might have to put peelaway on the whole lot to strip it.

Depends on why the artex was put on
If the ceiling was ok to start with, and you are careful, minor cockups can be filled

If the ceiling has got distemper on it then you have two choices
1. Overboard the ceiling and plaster as normal
2. Give the ceiling a coat of stabilising solution, let it dry then plaster.
The thing with distemper is that pva alone will not prep the ceiling adequately for the plaster to grip the distemper. It will appear fine at first them the skim will blow from the ceiling and come off in sheets.
Artex do a good stabilising solution .
You would be better washing the surface with sugar soap and scraping as much off as possible before the stabilising solution.

Mike

Cheers guys, good suggestions. I will see how it goes with removing the distemper. If it's a pain might resort to a thin sheet of board, though part of my o.c.d. wouldn't like that its under the board :D

Will try the sugar soap as steam didn't quite do it. Might not even be distemper at all. Will take a pic tomorrow and maybe someone can tell me if it is distemper or not?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back